Chapter 5

TRYOUTS

'Teach me how to fight, I'll show you how to win'

Quidditch tryouts were one of the most anticipated days of the early months at Hogwarts

Quidditch tryouts were one of the most anticipated days of the early months at Hogwarts. Even if they weren't trying out, most eager fans watched from the stands, curious to see who would be representing their house in the sport. This year, Gryffindor captain and seeker, James Potter was determined to have the sharpest team in all of Europe.

Sirius was his right hand man. The pair made for a quite cocky leadership. Most students thought the boys valued Quidditch more than life itself. They also thought this might be the Gryffindor's best year yet. Not only was James Potter, the legendary Hogwarts seeker, captain, but the other 7th years in the group were chaser Marlene and keeper Sirius who had been on the team since the first year they were eligible to try out. And rumors flew about the Jones twins record as players for their former team. A team with five players as good as they came was sure to win more than a few games.

James stood on the field, leaning on his broom, running down his list of students trying out. As his finger made it's way down the list, two names caught his attention. Turning his head to Sirius and Marlene, he held the sheet up. "Oi, Pads! The Jones' weren't joking about trying out. They're both on here."

Sirius hurried over to his friend, snatching the list with a smile. "She really plays?"

Marlene followed and propped her chin on Sirius' shoulder to view the list. "Did you miss the part where Potter said 'both'?" She pulled the paper from him and gave it back to James.

James just laughed. "Guess you'll have to put up with Eddie a bit more than you-"

"James, shut it!" Marlene scolded and inconspicuously pointed to the other side of the field. Both boys's eyes followed her finger to see Eddie and Jude making their over, brooms in hand. As predicted, Sirius' gazed stayed on Jude for a few moments longer than everyone else.

It had been a week since the two of them went to the astronomy tower. They had a few classes together and exchanged a few words, but that was it. He was starting to think he hit a dead end with her. He could've ruined his chance. Almost every day, he asked Remus what he should've done differently- if there was anything he could've done to change the outcome. Remus usually just told him he didn't do anything wrong, he just moved too fast for her. That answer wasn't good enough for Sirius.

As his eyes stayed fixed on Jude, Marlene softly slapped his cheek, snapping him back to reality. "C'mon, Black. We need your head hear today unless you want us to find another keeper."

Sirius cleared his throat and changed his eye line. He jogged, catching up to Marlene. "Marls, you're roommates with Jude, hm?"

Marlene sighed. "Yes, Sirius. I'm roommates with Jude. What do you want?"

"Does she talk about me? What does she say? Remus and Jude are partners in divination but he refuses to tell me anything. I don't want to know much, just if she-" His eyes widened in a terrible thought. "Did she tell you about when we-" He shook his head. "Never mind. What do you talk about anyway?"

Her arm stuck out, stopping Sirius from walking any further. "Yes, sometimes we talk about you. You're a mutual friend of everyone in that dorm. Yes, she told me what happened in the tower. No, I will not tell you what she said."

"Oh, come on, Marls. Just tell me a little. For me, your friend and ex boyfriend?"

"Sirius, I dated you to stop my mother from figuring out I was gay. Get off your high horse," she teased. "All I'll tell you is she came back that night with a smile on her face. That's all I'm going to say. Now get your head out of the clouds and onto the field before I tell everyone Sirius Black still sleeps with a stuffed bear."

Sirius gasped playfully. "You wouldn't- I don't sleep with it! I just...keep it close to the bed. That's all."

Marlene grinned and kept walking.

~~

Jude wasn't nervous about tryouts. She didn't have to be. Quidditch came easy to her. But that didn't stop her from being nervous about Sirius Black. This would be the most time she spent with him since that night. Her head hurt with all the questions swirling. What if Eddie found out? What if she really was just another one of Black's conquests?

No, she had more important things to worry about.

James made his way to the front of the group and stood on a wooden box. "Alright, ladies and gents and others. Let's make this quick so we can all make tonight's house party."

Jude nudged Eddie, whispering to him. "That's the one that kept chasing Lily. Marlene says she might just say yes to the next ask."

Eddie raised an eyebrow. "Evans and Potter? No way. Never gonna happen. She's way to good for him."

James went on. "Chasers over with McKinnon. Beaters with me." He locked eyes with Jude who waved a little as she walked over to Marlene. He quickly turned to Sirius. "Sirius will be helping with chasers."

Sirius stuck his nose up. "Mate, I'm more qualified to help with the beat-" James gave side eye over to Jude. "Never mind. Chasers it is."

Tryouts went on. As expected, the Jones twins were incredible. There was no doubt in anyone's mind that both of them would make the team. Jude was graceful and swift. She spun through the air, weaving around any obstacle that crossed her path. Her throws were powerful. She even once scored on Sirius. Eddie was quick and strong. He made his way across the field like a race horse jumping hurdles. He kept opposing players off their chasers with ease. It wasn't a matter of 'if' he made the team. James was sure to give him a spot.

As the afternoon came to an end, Jude made her way to the side of the field where she had left her bag. Not far off from her bag was Remus. She waved to him with a bright smile. They had been partnered up for divination and hit it off right away. He was a sweet boy, and she didn't understand why other students were so hard on him.

Before she knew it, Remus had appeared behind her, wrapping her in a hug. "You did amazing, you know."

She looked up. "You really watched the whole practice?"

"I always watch. I have since James and Sirius started playing, at least."

"Well," she spun out of the hug. "You're a better friend than I would be. I would never spend my afternoon sitting here."

They laughed before Remus had a thought pop into his head. "Hey, are you coming to the house party tonight?"

She started picking up her things. "I don't know. I have homework."

"I'm usually not a party person, but this one is worth it. It's just Gryffindors. Oh! And the Prefects talked Dumbledore into letting us use the Great Hall this year so it won't be so claustrophobic." He smiled.

She thought for a moment. "I guess if you're going, I should give it a try."

"You won't regret it. Trust me."

-----

A/N: Hi to all of my new readers! Most of you are probably coming from Tik Tok. Thank you so much for all the nice comments and messages! Please let me know if there's anything you want to see or want to happen in this fic. And let me know if you have any requests for other fics!

xoxo

Tik Tok and Twitter: moonysblog

Instagram: moonysblogxo