Chapter 29

Order of the Phoenix

Too young to know it gets better

February came. Everyday, the war got worse. Everyday, more muggleborns vanished from classes. The halls seemed slightly empty. It was hard to tell if they left Hogwarts for safety, or if they were taken.

Jude and Eddie barely left the school grounds. Lily never even left the building. Remus tried to hide the fact he was a werewolf harder than he ever had before. Sirius attempted pushing information from Regulus every few days to no avail.

It was all different now.

Then March arrived. Jude had started to follow in Lily's footsteps, never leaving the building. Eddie only walked the grounds with a pure blood by his side.

With the end of their seventh year growing closer, the students wondered if they would ever go back to normal. The war seemed endless.

April was next. With the stress of the war, Eddie and Mary had broken up. Regulus and Sirius barely spoke. Jude and Eddie didn't dare try to contact Colin or Lucy and prayed no one found the farmhouse. 

Then Dumbledore called them to his office. He sat quietly behind his desk, pensive. "I'm sorry to pull you all from your class," he looked at James, Sirius, and Marlene. "Although, I'm sure some of you don't mind."

Jude clutched Sirius' hand, fiddling with his rings. He watched her from the corner of his eye. 

"The ten of you have become some of the brightest and most skilled students I have come across, and the true embodiment of a brave Gryffindor heart." A deep sigh was released as the kids waited, nervously. "I am sure you are all aware of Colin Jones' employment?" They nodded. "Yes, well, as the war grows longer, we fear the worst." 

"Professor?" James chimed in. "Are you recruiting us for the Order of the Phoenix?"

Mary stood and held her head high. "I'm sorry, sir. I want no part of it. I can't risk my family's safety any longer."

"Mary-" Lily whispered.

A few tears fell from Mary's eyes. "I just can't."

"I understand, Miss MacDonald." Dumbledore nodded. "Any of you are welcome to turn me down. It is a big risk to take." 

Sirius took another look at Jude then stood. "I'll join."

Jude and Eddie locked eyes and stood up together. "So will we."

James and Remus followed, Marlene and Dorcas did the same. And finally, Lily and Peter. 

And soon they spent the nights training, planning, and strategizing. Dumbledore taught these children to go to war- to be fighters. No longer were they pulling nonsense in classes. Instead, they were shouted at by professors for dozing off during lectures. Rather than feasting in the Great Hall, they sat in their dorms, working on the next plan. They didn't run around the grounds with laughing trailing behind them. They spent those spare hours in meetings with Mad Eye Moody, Alice, Frank, Emmeline, and the other members. The group of seventeen and eighteen year olds were no longer kids. 

One might ask why. Why did they agree to such a job? Why would they give up their good lives for such misery? It's a simple answer, really. They were just too young to know it would get better.