Chapter 12

Nightmare

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down, you'll be alright, no one can hurt you now

27 October 1977

It was the night before Sirius and Jude were set to leave Hogwarts. James were sat on the common room floor, scrambling over Quidditch plans. Peter and Eddie were playing chess- Peter was losing. Sirius and Jude were curled up on the couch. He had one arm around her back and the other hand on her thigh. One of her legs were over his, wrapped around it. She was simultaneously reading and playing with Sirius' hair.

The months had gone by. The group grew closer and closer. Jude adored every relationship she formed with them. James became her annoying little brother. Remus was her best friend and they counted on one another. She became a sort of mother figure to Peter, allowing him to come to her when he needed to and providing him with anything he needed. Sirius and her, of course, grew closer by the day, falling harder and harder. Marlene and Lily were the big sisters she always wanted. Dorcas was the little sister. And nothing beat the happiness she got the day she found out Eddie and Mary were dating.

The Marauders brought her into the group due to the fact that Jude and Sirius were practically inseparable. They showed her the map, teaching her all their tricks. They revealed themselves as animagi and were shocked to find out Jude Jones was one too- a blackbird. Remus even revealed the most well kept secret of them all to her. He was a werewolf. It was those nights that tested their friendship the most, but Jude never left him alone. She stuck by him even on the worst nights.

Everything fell into place. She had a happy life with good people around her. Even if the war outside the Hogwarts grounds raged on, they were at peace.

That peace, however, was temporary.

The common room door slammed open, and in walked an angry Remus. He threw his books down and dropped himself on the couch next to Jude.

James smirked. "What's wrong, Rem? Flubbed the potions exam?" He chuckled at his own joke.

There was no response. Everyone turned to him, waiting for an explanation.

James' smile faded. "Moony?"

Still no response. Jude let go of Sirius, sitting up straight, and turned to Remus, resting her hand on his. "Remus, what's wrong?"

He slowly lifted his head. His eyes were red and his jaw was tight. "Voldemort attacked Hogsmeade last night."

Everyone froze. They didn't know what to say, at first. There hadn't been a nearby attack since last month. And for Voldemort to be present during the attack? It was unnerving.

Peter was the first to let a word slip from his lips. "No..."

Sirius stood up and started pacing. "You're kidding, right?"

Remus shook his head. "It was a masacre. Word is they're heading here. Jude..."

Jude and Eddie exchanged worried glances. No muggleborn would be safe if the Dark Lord made it to Hogwarts.

"Jude...Ed," Remus continued. "You should go. If they find you here, it won't be good. They might-" He stopped speaking before the terrible thought escaped his mouth. "You have to go."

There was a rattling noise rising in volume. Then the ground began to shake. Sirius, knowing the Death Eaters tactics, picked up on what was about to happen. "Get down!" He ran to Jude but before he could get to her, the ground below them broke, dropping them down through the floor.

----

Sirius' eyes shot open and he shot up straight. His breathing was heavy and sweat dripped from his brow. It was dark and his eyes were adjusting. He scanned the room and then processed.

The surface under him was soft. He wasn't in any pain. Was that a blanket on him? Where was his shirt? Why was he in pajama pants? When his eyes adjusted, he saw the shape of his bed around him. Across the room in his own bed was Remus, sound asleep. In the another bed was Peter, lying face down, snoring.

He looked at his own bed. Next to him was Jude, tucked under the sheets. His breathing remained heavy as he took everything in. It was a dream. A nightmare, actually. There was no attack at Hogsmeade. The Gryffindor tower wasn't blown up.

There was a stir next to him. Jude's eyes opened. "Sirius?" Her voice was quiet and gravely. "Are you alright?" She sat up a bit.

"Uh, yeah, I'm fine." He pushed her hair out of her face. "Go back to sleep, Bird."

Bird. That became her nickname after the Marauders found out she was an animagi. She got a nickname just like the others that represented her animal form. At first she hated it, but grew to love it.

She was about to let herself fall back onto the pillow and doze off when she noticed Sirius' chest rising and falling rapidly. Then she saw the sweat and the puffy eyes. "Sirius, what's wrong?" She completely sat up. "You're rattled."

"It was a nightmare, that's all." The truth was that nightmare terrified him. Not because it was frightening on it's own, but because it was so close to reality. He hated the fact that his brain was able to conjure such horrors.

Jude pulled him into her arms, resting his head on her chest. "Talk to me. What happened?" She began to play with his hair, running her fingers through it. It always calmed him.

Sirius was hesitant to say anything. He didn't want to worry her. But he knew her well enough to know she wouldn't let it go until he said something. "The Death Eaters attacked Hogsmeade and then the school." He held onto her. "And I think you were hurt." He thought about the explosion he saw. The last thing he remembered was the terror on Jude's face as she fell through the ground, holding out her hand, just out of Sirius' reach.

"Hey," She spoke softly. "I'm okay. I'm right here, perfectly safe. I'm here with you." She lifted his chin, allowing his eyes to meet hers. "We're okay. We're all okay." She cupped his cheek with her hand. "Remus and Pete are right there in bed, James is with Lily, Marlene, Dorcas, Mary, and Eddie are in their rooms. Everything is okay. Okay?"

Sirius nodded, fitting his head in the crook of her neck. "Mhm.."

"Let's get some sleep. We have a trip to take tomorrow."

The train ride to the Black Manor. Neither of them were looking forward to tomorrow, but they knew they had to go.

Jude laid back down and Sirius laid with her, placing his forhead on hers and his arm around her waist. You're okay. Jude's okay. Everything is going to be okay. He repeated the phrases in his head until he fell asleep.

----

A/N: Hey you! I'm so proud of you! You're doing great. Love you so much and thank you for reading! I love reading all the comments on here and tik tok :)

xoxo

Tik Tok and Twitter: moonysblog

Instagram: moonysblogxo