Chapter 8

If I Fell

If I fell in love with you, would you
promise to be true?

If I fell in love with you, would you promise to be true?

Sirius felt like he was on top of the world. He had just told the girl of his dreams he fancied her and now she was holding his hand and running through the halls, taking him to his favorite place, the Astronomy Tower. He couldn't be bothered to watch were he was going. He just kept his eyes on Jude. Her smile was big and her eyes sparkled. He listened to her enchanting laugh and the taps of her shoes as they echoed through the big halls of the school. Her gorgeous green dress moved perfectly with her body and strands of her curly hair started to make their way out of her braid. In this moment, the whole world disappeared- or rather, his whole world became her. There was no denying that he was hooked, and finally, the notorious flirt, Sirius Black, had found his match in a fiery blonde with a smile as big as the sun.

The pair continued rushing down the halls when they heard the sound of Professor McGonagall's heeled boots approaching. Sirius quickly recognized the sound, knowing it all too well, and pulled Jude around the corner, putting his finger to his lips. Jude covered her mouth and backed against the wall. They both tried to hold in laughs as the steps got closer.

Then a voice came. "If you're going to scurry around the halls this late, at least take your heels off, Miss Jones. They're creating quite a ruckus." It was indeed McGonagall. Sirius chuckled. "And you best make sure you're in bed by curfew, Mister Black, unless you want another detention." Now Jude let out a quiet laugh.

Sirius tried to suppress a smile and widened his eyes. "Yes, ma'am. Will do!" He called from the distance.

After her footsteps went away, the two slipped back into the hall. Jude pulled off her shoes and they kept running until they reached the winding staircase. Up the stairs they went, still hand in hand.

"Why are we here again?" Sirius teased.

Jude reached for his other hand. "I thought it'd be fun." She shrugged.

He smirked. "You're sure it wasn't because you had something to tell me? Like you're madly in love with me? You want to kiss me again?" He teased her some more, puckering his lips in the most exaggerated way he could.

She jokingly threw her head back. "Keep it in your pants, Black. Maybe I just wanted some company to watch the stars?" Of course, that wasn't true. She didn't care for stargazing.

"In that case," Sirius escorted her to the balcony, "You've accidentally brought the perfect person for the job." He moved behind her, positioning her in perfect view of a cluster of stars. "There's a reason this place is my favorite."

Jude looked up at the cluster. "Is that a constellation?" Her arm stretched out, pointing to the night sky.

"Mhm," Sirius put his chin on her shoulder. "Leo. The Lion. It's my dreadful mother's favorite."