What He Doesn't Know- chp 15

Chapter 15

---Dana's POV---

When I got home I walked straight over to the shelf below the tv where we kept our dvds. I felt completely out of it and it was like I was standing outside of my body watching myself. I reached down and took out a dvd then placed it in the player. My heart skipped a beat as Charlie came on the screen.

"Hey there beautiful, well what can I say? The mere fact that you're watching this means that I went and deserted you." He chhuckled then looked down. "You know it's funny I never thought that I would have actually died. Especially with our little girl due soon." He pinched the bridge of his nose now finding it hardto cotinue. "I just want you to know that I love you and I'm sorry I couldn't continue being with you and be a father for our baby girl." He shifted slightly in his seat. That was a sign that he was getting uneasy about the message that neither of us thought I would ever have to see. I remember right after he made it because it was that very christmas that he was allowed to come home. He had joked about making it and when I asked to see it he said that it wasn't important,  esecially since he would always be here with me. Well where was he now? Dead. I usually tried not to get so worked up about it whenever I watched this but it was so hard. He was supposed to be here for me but that's not how things panned out. "So um listen sweetheart, I have one favour to ask. When you meet someone who you realize you love just as much as me or even more, just- just don't give him as hard a time as you gave me." He chuckled before continuing. "i remember that it was one hell of a challenge to get you to just have coffee with me. Anyway I love and I gotta go because we're about to pull out. Bye."

As the screen went blank I elt the tears streaming down my face. I wanted him back. He was the only man I trusted enough to love and he loved me too. Why did he have to go? Couldn't it have been me instead. Now I was alone with his child and an unborn child that seemed unwanted by everyone but me. Then again maybe I wasn't pregnant afterall . . .

Oh who was I trying to fool. I realized the symptoms from te first time they started but I had simply willed myself to overlook it, refusing to face reality. I figured that if I just ignored the baby bump that I saw in the mirror every morning since two weeks ago then maybe by some great chance it would have disappeared. I guess reality finally struck when I saw the morning after pill that I was so sure had taken. I sunk into a ball on th couch and continued crying. Why was my life turning out like this?

There was a knock on the door before it swung open. I flinched but made no other motions.

"Mommy?" I heard Kalie call from the front hall.

My eyes went to the clock on the wall; 3 mins after 2. Abby must of picked her up.

"Dana are you home? Your front door is open, why the hell is it open. Do you know  how many predators there are out there?" Oh no she was going into one of her famous rants. I closed my eyes in an effort to tune her out.

"I found her." I heard Kalie say. My eyes opened slowly and I saw her standing at the archway looking at me. She ran over to me and knelt infront of the couch and laid her hand on me. "Mommy what's wrong?"

Abby walked into the room and gave me a puzzled look.

"You were wrong." I said, completely devoid of emotion. Her expression became even more puzzled. "He didn't care about an heir infact he doesn't want it. He thinks I'm just looking for some extra cash." My voice cracked alittle at the end which gave away my exact feelings.

"Oh I'm so sorry." She said making her way over to me. She knelt beside Kalie and began rubbing my back soothingly. It reminded me of all the times I was upset and Charlie would rub my back untiil I felt better or fell asleep. This only made me start crying again.