What He Doesn't Know- chp 21

Chapter 21

---Kalie's POV---

I sat with my arms wrapped around my feet as I watched Ashley walk up and down the room. She was thinking of something for us to do; she's like being incharge but I don't mind because she's fun and has fun ideas. I would have helped her think but all I could think about was the mean man who hurt mommy. She was crying so much that it made me want to cry too . . . Why would he have done that? That's why I liked Richard. He was the nicest man I knew and I wanted him to be my daddy. He would never have hurt mommy like that.

"Kalie we should go downstairs." Ashley said after a long time.

"Why?" I didn't really want to go anywhere.

"Because I heard Grandma saying there's a party downstairs. We can sneak down and pretend to be grown ups and have their food and be real fancy."

"But what if your mom catches us?"

"Let's not think about that." She said, sounding less sure. She was just as afraid of her mother as I was. Auntie Grace was a crazy lady! I was definitely not gonna try getting in trouble with her again. I gave Ashley a look that told her all of that. She sighed.

"You're being just like Kelsi." She said as she threw herself on her bed and began pouting. She was acting spoilt again. She always did.

"Okay fine." I said. I knew she thought that Kelsi was baby and she didn't like hanging out with her and I didn't want her to feel the same way about me. She jumped up instantly with a smile.

"Yay! Let's go!" She grabbed my hand and pulled me from the room. We walked quietly down the hall just incase anyone could hear us. When we got to the top of the staircase I froze. There were so many people. "Well come on." Ashley said impatiently as she pulled me down the staircase. I nearly screamed but then I remembered we were supposed to be quiet. We stopped at a table and watched all the grown ups as thay walked around acting stuffy and spoke in there noses. Wy did they sound so weird? I kept looking, not sure what to do. Seeing all these people suddenly made me want my- Mommy! What was she doing here?

"Mommy!"

Ashley grabbed me immediately pulled me under the nearest table.

"Are you nuts?! Didn't you see Uncle Richie standing right beside her?! We might get in trouble now!" She whispered angrily. I-I Didn't mean ti make her mad, I just wanted my mommy. . .

"I'm sorry. . ."

She rolled her eyes like mommy always did when she was getting annoyed. Just then the table cloth that was hiding us shifted.

"Enjoying the party ladies?"

Richard! Somehow Ashley didn't seem as happy to see him as I was. She laughed nervously while slowly backing away. Well I didn't know about her but I was glad to see him so I jmped into his arms and hugged him real tight. "Richard! I missed you so much."

"Aww I missed you too Monkey, now aren't you two suppose to be upstairs?" He said. He was looking at Ashlety while he talked.

"We were just headed back up there." Ashley said, she sounded nervous.

"Well then hop to it." He said with that nice smile he always had. I liked his smile it had a good feeling to it unlike Andrew's. He held out his hadn and helped us from under the table. "Now neither of your mothers has to find out about t this provided you guys head back, now would be a nice time." We both giggled.

"Okay." Ashley said.

"Richard." All three of us turned around instantly and I could feel myself freeze. It was that man . . . I found myself clinging tightly to Richard's hand. What if the man tried hurting me too . . . Richard must have felt me squeeze his hand because then he looked down at me. Just then the man said, "Oh hey there Kalie, how've you been?" I hid further behind Richard; I didn't want to see him. Richard raised an eyebrow as if he was confused but I think he caught on.