XVI

[Y/n] took a deep breath once he stepped outside. The cool air brushed against his skin and his eyes adjusted to the dark of the night. Something about being inside the farmhouse made him feel like he was suffocating, most likely all the stress within it.

     “Can’t sleep?”

     [Y/n]’s head turned to his left, seeing Maggie in a chair in the corner on the patio. Her knees hugged up to her chest.

     “You could say that.”

     [Y/n] took a seat in the chair beside Maggie.

     “Thank you for helping Carl- no, thank you for everything.”, [Y/n] mumbled. Maggie side-eyed the young man.

     “Never said thank you to someone before?”

     “Huh- No, no, I have. Just not to new people.”

     “It’s fine. I’m just twisting your tail.”

     [Y/n] sighed and leaned back in the chair, muscles relaxing. Well, for a moment.

     Lights flashed from the dirt road, getting brighter the closer the vehicle got. When the vehicle got to the house, the lights shut off and the engine ran out. Doors slammed as two figures approached the patio.

     “So do we ring the bell? I mean it looks like people live here.”, a familiar voice spoke. 

     “We’re past this kind of stuff, aren’t we? Having to be considerate.”, another familiar voice spoke. The two figures approached the door and the light from inside the house beamed onto their faces.

     “Did you close the gate up the road when you drove in?”, Maggie spoke up before Glenn could reach the door handle.

     “Uh, hi.”, Glenn said, panicked. “Yes, we closed it. Did the latch and everything.”

     Maggie leaned forward, her elbows resting on her knees. Her face was revealed to Glenn and T-Dog from the light inside the house.

     “Hello. Nice to see you again. We met before briefly.”

     “Look, we came to help. There anything we can do?” T-Dog interrupted Glenn’s rambling. Then he grunted, holding onto his arm. [Y/n] stood up and the light revealed him as well. Glenn felt relief wash over him seeing his brother in front of him, alive. 

     [Y/n] gave his brother a small smile while stepping up to Glenn, giving him a hug and pat on the back. 

     “Holy shit. I’m so glad you’re okay.”, Glenn said under his breath, making [Y/n] chuckle. 

     When the two pulled away from the hug, [Y/n] looked at T-Dog’s arm then back to the man’s face, questioningly. The blood seeping through the bandage on T-Dog’s arm made him a bit uneasy.

     “It’s not a bite. I cut myself pretty bad though.”, T-Dog assured. [Y/n] nodded.

     “We’ll have it looked at. I’ll tell them you’re here.”, Maggie said as she stood. 

     “We have some painkillers and antibiotics.”, Glenn mentioned, pulling a few pill bottles from the purse looking bag on his shoulder. “I already gave him some. If Carl needs any.”

     “Come on inside. I’ll make you something to eat.”

     Maggie opened the door and welcomed them in.

~•¤•~

     The small group walked into the guest room where Carl laid. Glenn took his ball cap off in respect with his eyes watering. [Y/n] placed his hand on Glenn’s shoulder to give his brother any sort of comfort.