XVII

[Y/n] hucked a rock from his gloved hand into the wheelbarrow. Then he grabbed another one from the grass under a few medium sized trees and did the same thing. Mostly everyone was doing just that, besides Hershel, Lori, Rick and Patricia ofcourse. 

     [Y/n] wiped his forehead with his forearm, letting a sigh escape his mouth. Even though he was used to working first thing in the morning, he wasn't used to picking up decent sized rocks off the ground for two hours straight. He'd be lying if he said his back wasn't burning with pain right now.

     Glenn walked up beside him, looking off in the distance. This made [Y/n] stop and look where his brother was staring. Engines revved as three vehicles drove up the driveway. Daryl was in front on the motorcycle, the grey color car was next, and then the RV. 

     They finally showed up.

~•¤•~

     Everyone had moved to the front of the farmhouse, seeing the vehicles were gonna drive right up. Rick and Lori walk out of the house with T-Dog, who went inside to get them. 

     "How is he?" Dale asked, standing in front of Rick now. 

     "He'll pull through, thanks to Hershel and his people.", Lori confirmed. 

     "And Shane.", Rick mentioned. "We'd have lost Carl if not for him."

     Dale had a small smile of relief plastered on his face as he walked up to Rick to give him a hug. That's when Carol quickly walked up to Lori to give her a hug as well. While giving Lori a hug, Carol looked up at the [H/c](-nette) not too far away from them. The male looked away nervously, moving one arm to rest across his chest while the other was propped on the other, chewing his fingernail.

     "How'd it happen?" Dale questioned Rick.

     "Hunting accident. That's all– just a stupid hunting accident.", the sheriff responded.

~•¤•~

     Beth gently laid the rock in her hand on the neat pile of rocks. Everyone gathered round, standing in respect of Otis. Even at this "homemade" funeral, [Y/n] still felt uneasy about Otis' death.

     "Blessed be God, father of our lord Jesus Christ.", Hershel started reading from the book in his hands. [Y/n] watched Beth walk back to her spot next to Maggie. 

     "Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis, for his span of years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's", Hershel continued, the book now closed. Beth looked up at [Y/n], a gentle smile on her face. [Y/n]'s face burned from embarrassment and he smiled back.

     "Now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace.", Hershel had tears in his eyes as he spoke. "Shane, will you speak for Otis?"

     "I'm not good at it.", Shane admitted. "I'm sorry." 

     "You were the last one with him.", Patricia said. [Y/n] looked at Shane. "You shared his final moments. Please."

     [Y/n] was wondering why he was hesitating so much. Shane's body was stiff, like he was on edge. He was acting like he was trying to avoid something.

     "I need to hear.", Patricia pleaded. "I need to know his death had meaning."

     "We were about done.", Shane began. "Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up."

     Everyone's eyes were on Shane as he spoke.

     "'We've got to save the boy.' See, that's what he said. He gave me his backpack. He shoved me ahead. 'Run,' he said. He said, 'I'll take the rear. I'll cover you.' And when I looked back...", Shane paused. It was a long pause.