10

She had run away again! Xiang Yu did not know how long he would be able to endure this strange game. She was always running away from his arms and from his bed. She was always refusing to stay – even overnight. And she would always run away while he was asleep without a word to him. He swore that one day he would burn all her clothes! That would prevent her from running away!

Why was she acting like a thief with him?

When he requested her to accompany him to a program of dinner and entertainment, she refused, stating she really did not enjoy such occasions. If he went to play golf with her, she stubbornly continued to act as his caddy. Every time, they made love, he was always the one who wanted to cling on to her. This time, he had asked her for dinner with his uncle. He wanted to use this occasion to declare their relationship to the only family he had. It would also explain why he did not visit his uncle or little Tang often these days. But she had disappeared without a trace!

He had told her he would pick her up from the library. But when they reached the library, he could not find her. A girl in her early twenties informed him that Miss Song had left early  today due to some personal commitments.

“ And you are…”

“ I am an intern”, the girl replied, her eyes filled with admiration. Ever since he had entered, she had been staring at his handsome figure and emotionless face. Miss Song’s boyfriend was so handsome! Why did Miss Song never mention him? Miss Ming was so lost in admiration of the unexpected guest that she ended up filing all the books under the wrong barcode !

He thanked the weird intern and returned to his car. He asked the driver to go to Miss Song’s residence. On the way, he even tried to call her on her cell phone. Perhaps.. she had gone home to change into something more appropriate ? But would that take so much time? The intern at the library had said that Miss Song had left at three in the afternoon, she shouldn’t be taking so much time!

But even at her residence, he was unable to trace her. She did not even answer her cell phone.

He was getting irritated as the time to meet his uncle drew closer. He was even a bit embarrassed to meet an elder like this. She had deliberately run away from the meeting!

“ What happened, why does your face look so ugly?” Yao Yonggun asked when they finally met.

“Nothing.”

“ Really ? Aren’t you in a bad mood because of little Missy ?” Yan Yonggun had still not changed the way he addressed Song Yu Shan. He smiled and looked at his amazed expression. “ Yes, I know you were planning to bring her to dinner with us. But she just called and told me she had an urgent appointment with someone else and heartily apologized for failing to turn up this time. I told her it didn’t matter. We could meet some other day for dinner.”

He looked up. “ Who does she have this urgent appointment with ?”

Yan Yonggun started laughing, “ Why would she tell me that ? Shouldn’t you know ? Do you guys not talk to each other ?”

He kept quiet. After a long time, he admitted unwillingly, “ She .. she really isn’t very communicative.”

Yan Yonggun could not help himself. He started laughing heartily. “ Ah.. this is karma. You finally met someone who would make you feel insecure.”

“ That’s a bit of an exaggeration, isn’t  it?”Xiang Yu murmured helplessly to the old man.

One old and one young man stood silently under the big tree in the backyard, immersed in their own thoughts. The autumn wind was chilly.  The evening had already turned into night .From the Japanese style building in front of them , the delicious aroma of food wafted in. This place had always been the one that was closest to ‘home ‘in his mind. The people residing here were his family. And family members always knew about each other’s good and bad habits. This was something one could neither hide nor  be ashamed of. But right now, he wanted to leave right away and go back to his own house.  Honestly, he wanted to go back and see if Song Yu Shan was back.