prologue.

The weather report from the previous night stated that it would be rather warm that day, but it was often wrong. If (Y/n) had just listened to Dazai that night, she wouldn't have been shivering the second she stepped out of their shared apartment.

"If you say I told you so," she began as soon as he stepped outside, wearing his usual attire, "I'm going to punch you."

"Jokes on you," he pressed against her back, leaning down to her ear, "I'm into that." With that, he pressed a quick kiss to her bare neck, causing some heat to flow to her cheeks.

"I'm going to go change," she said, pulling away and turning to face him. "I'll meet you downstairs."

"Hmph. I thought this would lead to something a bit more entertaining, but I'll wait for you."

(Y/n) rolled her eyes, pressing a kiss to his cheek before she went back inside the apartment. She leaned against the door and kicked off her shoes, gently running her fingers against the spot Dazai had kissed before. She shook her head, getting those running thoughts out of her head before she went back over to her somewhat small wardrobe.

As she changed into her new attire, grabbing some warmer clothes that she had contemplated wearing a few days prior, memories from the past few weeks ran through her mind. So much had happened, from her return to the agency after two years to rekindling a more physical romance with Dazai to finally getting engaged to him and permanently returning to her position as a detective.

To think, I would probably still be at my position in the Ripped Page if Osamu hadn't thought to bring me back in to fight against the Guild, she thought as she began to pull off the pair of shorts she had originally put on, switching to a pair of jeans cuffed just above her ankles. It still seems so surreal sometimes. I should probably pinch myself once I'm done just to make sure this isn't some dream.

(Y/n) kept on the light blue turtleneck she had originally put on, pairing it with her jeans. She pulled out a black and white checkered jacket, pulling it over her turtleneck as it hung loosely around her. She ran a hand through her (h/c) hair, pulling it back into an up-do as it had been messed up in the change.

As soon as her hair was up, she looked back down at her fingers. On her left ring finger was a somewhat thin bandage, the knot tied upward. While there was no injury to cover, she often retied this bandage and treasured it as if it were the most precious diamond in the world. She pressed a light kiss against it, the memory of when Dazai first tied it around her finger fluttering back into her mind.

She walked back over to the door, grabbing a pair of black socks and ankle boots and pulling them on quickly. She grabbed her wallet and phone and shoved it into her back pocket before opening the door.

"I thought I was going to meet you downstairs," she said, finding Dazai leaning against the railing as he faced the door.

"Well, I had a sliver of hope that you'd swing that door back open and pull me back inside." He pushed off the railing, taking a step towards her.

(Y/n) felt her lips curl into a sly smile. She reached back, grabbing the still-unlocked handle. "Like this?"

With a single swift motion, she swung the door open behind her with one hand and grabbed the collar of his shirt with the other. She pulled him in for a kiss, continuing the back up as he closed the door as soon as they were inside.