chapter nine.

(Y/n) laid on Hinami's couch. Though she had offered to let her sleep in her old room, (Y/n) declined. There was always the chance she'd go ahead and head back to the apartment or go to the Agency at some point to clear her head.

But she didn't.

She stayed on that couch the entire night. She didn't sleep, she wasn't even sure she closed her eyes. She wasn't sure she could. Her eyes were puffy from crying, memories of Dazai's betrayal shooting back into her mind once she was left to the darkness of her inner thoughts.

(Y/n) knew that it was morning. Sunlight poured in from behind the cheap curtains in the kitchen window and from under the door to Hinami's room. She was about to get up to leave when Hinami's door opened.

Instead of getting up, (Y/n) shut her eyes. She knew that Hinami would either be upset or way too concerned if she found out that (Y/n) hadn't actually slept that night. So maybe pretending just for a little while would do some good.

She could hear Hinami shuffling around the area, heading towards the kitchen. The scent of fresh coffee soon filled the air, the sound of the fridge door's creaky opening sent more chills up (Y/n)'s spine than if she were standing in front of the cold air as it opened.

Before (Y/n) knew it, she had fallen asleep to the sounds of Hinami preparing a fresh batch of coffee. Hinami poured herself a cup, turning towards the couch as she heard the lightest snore. She rolled her eyes, happy that (Y/n) had finally fallen asleep.

She was about to head back over to her room when she heard a faint knock. Of course it wasn't at her penthouse door, it was from much further away – all the way at the front of the store.

"Freaking great," she muttered to herself as she made her way out.

Hinami stopped in her tracks as soon as she could clearly see who was at the front door – a certain blond-ponytailed detective

Hinami stopped in her tracks as soon as she could clearly see who was at the front door – a certain blond-ponytailed detective. Her grip on her mug tightened and her eyes narrowed slightly.

She let out a sharp breath as she pushed down the venomous thoughts she had at first, continuing towards the front door. She unlocked it and opened it slightly, asking gruffly, "What do you want, Kunikida?"

"I'm pleased to know you remember me," he responded, not actually answering her question.

"Well I remember that day very well. Most people who get kidnapped and rescued in such a theatrical manner often remember everything down to the smallest detail," she stated, crossing her arms over her red fluffy robe. "Now what do you want? It's cold out here and I don't want anyone thinking we're open yet cause we're not."

"I came to make sure that (Y/n) was okay," he stated, sticking his hand into his pocket. "That dumb Dazai told me what he did to her last night. Besides," he pulled his hand out, holding the small black device, "I have her phone."