chapter twenty.

(Y/n) ran her hands down the sides of the dress, lace gently rippling underneath her fingertips. She stood in front of the mirror hanging within the closet, spinning slightly as she watched the loose skirt twist around her legs – floating like a gentle breeze.

She could already see herself on her wedding day: her hair done up with little white flowers placed throughout her hair, appearing careless yet the spots were chosen prior to even getting the flowers; a pair of white heels, ones that weren't too high so she could still run and dance (fight if need-be – you never knew in Yokohama); and a bouquet filled with flowers that ranged from white to various shades of blue. She knew that it was just perfect.

(Y/n) felt a little childish – like a teenager trying on prom dresses. Ones that had big floofy skirts that looked like a wearable cupcake – sweet and soft. Spinning around and dancing as they realize how wonderful it feels.

She spun around once again, going on her toes as she went in a full circle. It was possible that she was enjoying watching her skirt fly around a little too much. However, she could've cared less. This was the perfect dress – she knew it.

"I should probably put it away," she muttered to herself, turning towards the bed as that was where she placed the box Yosano gifted it to her in. Just as she turned, she caught her reflection once again, entering the cycle of spinning around and imagining herself the morning of the wedding.

(Y/n) stopped as she noticed something in the corner of the mirror. She spun around, stopping away from the mirror as she faced the door of the bedroom. There stood Dazai, his mouth slightly agape as his eyes remained on her.

"When did you get back?" she asked, feeling the heat rush to her cheeks.

She quickly realized how silly she must have looked – spinning back and forth in front of a mirror for a little too long. She couldn't help herself, she was enjoying the dress that she would start the next chapter of her life in.

(Y/n) went to grab a robe from the closet, pulling it over herself. Dazai stepped towards her, holding his hands up as he tried to stop her.

"You are so beautiful," he said, utterly breathless.

She stopped as soon as the words left his mouth. She stared at the ground, worried to look up and reveal her blatant embarrassment. "You know it's bad luck to see the bride in her dress before the wedding day."

"I really don't care." He slowly took the edges of her robe, pulling it down as he took in the dress. "You are absolutely stunning."

(Y/n) could feel her cheeks heat up again. Only this time, it wasn't because she was caught red-handed spinning in front of the mirror for God knows how long.

"You really mean that?" She slowly looked up at him, dropping the robe at her feet.

"With my whole heart." He pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I can't wait for the day you wear this again."

"So... tomorrow?"

Dazai let out a chuckle, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her close. (Y/n) quickly reciprocated the action, holding him tight. She knew that everything crappy that occurred led up to this moment.

The crap just couldn't end soon enough.