chapter twenty-one.

The cool air in the bedroom forced (Y/n) to unconsciously pull the covers tighter around herself. She turned away from Dazai's sleeping body, facing the nightstand as she let out a heavy breath – one held in deep sleep.

Dazai turned onto his side towards (Y/n), his hand slipping to rest against the small of her back. Even while in deep sleep, his urges to feel her close to him still slipped out of him. She relaxed against his touch instinctively, loosening her grip on the sheets.

It was a shame that the windows were so quiet when they opened. Especially when four teens unlocked it and slipped inside in less than a minute. Two stayed on Dazai's side of the bed as he was closest to the window, the other two circled the bed to (Y/n)'s side. While over there, one went over and locked the door leading into the living space where Junichiro and Kunikida sat.

One of the teens pulled a small bag from his pocket, opening it to reveal a syringe and a small vial with a lavender liquid inside. He placed the needle at the base of Dazai's neck, inserting the liquid slowly and carefully.

Dazai's eyes opened to slits for a moment before closing again. His breath slowed, his hand slipping off of her back. He went completely limp against the mattress.

The teens drew closer to (Y/n), pulling out a second vile with an olive-green liquid inside. They prepared to inject her, knives and ropes ready at a moment's notice. At this point, they were unsure what to expect when it came to her.

 At this point, they were unsure what to expect when it came to her

(Y/n) felt herself sinking deeper and deeper into the pond. The water dark and calm around her. Her arms floated limp at her sides, her hair rising above her and dancing like seaweed hit by a gentle ocean current.

Just as she felt herself beginning to enter a state of consciousness outside of the ethereal plain, she felt something grip against her wrist. She opened her eyes again to see Ryuji in front of her, the glow of his body illuminating the area around her.

She opened her mouth to speak, water crashing against the back of her throat. She clawed at the water around her, trying to swim back up to the surface – finding herself stuck deep below the petal ceiling above her.

In a second, Ryuji created a small bubble around the two of them. (Y/n) flopped to the ground, coughing before gasping for air. She gripped at her chest, looking back up to Ryuji as she asked, "Why did you do that?"

"Just as you began to reenter the mortal plain, I felt a disturbance originating from there." His eyes narrowed. "One in need of action immediately."

She pulled herself to her feet. "You mean like... fighting action?"

"While a cruder way of putting it, yes. I fear something is about to occur to your mortal self that while require an immediate response."

"This couldn't be a peaceful goodbye. Could it?" (Y/n) shook her head.

"Good luck."

The bubble burst, filling with water once again. (Y/n) closed her eyes, taking one last breath before she sunk once again.