chapter ten.

(Y/n) sat up on the couch, running a hand through her hair as she looked over towards the kitchen. She furrowed her brows as she looked between Hinami and Kunikida.

"Uh... Did I miss something important?"

"When did you wake up?" Hinami questioned throwing the wet paper towels into the nearby trashcan.

"Just now. It smells kind of bad here." (Y/n)'s eyes fell to the freshly bloodied bandage wrapped around Hinami's hand. "What happened to your—" She cut herself off when she spotted Kunikida. "Okay, I feel like I really need to be caught up. I've been thrown far from the loop and I'd like to be let back in."

Kunikida stepped forward, grabbing her phone from the counter. He walked over to the couch and handed it to her as she stood up, waking herself up further as she did so.

"You left your phone at the apartment so Dazai gave it to me to give to you. Also, he wanted me to make sure you're okay," Kunikida explained as she looked it over, dusting off the case.

"He didn't show you what was on it back at the Agency?" she questioned, her expression growing with anger as she thought over the situation from the previous night.

"No. He didn't even face the screen towards him." (Y/n)'s expression softened slightly as she heard him, but not by much.

"Thank you for bringing it, Kunikida. I really appreciate it." She turned on the screen unlocking her phone.

Right as she unlocked it, one of her voicemails began to play. "That's weird. I guess Dazai left it on from when he—"

A train horn blew from her phone, loudly and proudly – it cut her off instantly. Voices whispered from the voicemail, nothing intelligible at first.

Kunikida stepped around the couch, growing closer to her as he began to ask, "What is—"

"...you'll either kill her now or she'll die painfully..."

(Y/n)'s heart dropped as she heard it. That night's memories flew back into her mind. She remembered everything so clearly – up until the moment she fainted. She could even hear Dazai calling out to her as she began to lose consciousness.

"Who was that?" Hinami questioned, pulling on her robe tighter as she walked over. "Was that someone you know?"

(Y/n) shook her head slowly, her lips pressed tightly together. She opened her mouth to say something though nothing came out. She let out a sharp gasp as her knees gave out from under her.

Kunikida quickly wrapped his hands around her arms, holding her upright long enough for him to guide her over to the couch. He sat next to her, studying her features as she stared down at the small device she now rested against her thigh.

"You don't think that was..."

"It's unmistakable," (Y/n) stated. "That was Zack Fujinuma."