chapter twenty-two.

(Y/n) tapped her foot against the ground, her boot clicking against the hospital room's bland tiles. It was the only sound that didn't drive her insane – compared to the beeping of the various monitors attached to Dazai's unconscious self.

She hadn't even changed when the ambulance arrived, barely putting on socks when the paramedics came inside to check on him. They took him on the stretcher, declaring they needed to get him to the hospital immediately.

Kunikida offered to drive her there after them, which she gladly accepted (though it was hard to understand her as her throat was dry from crying). He agreed to take her there as soon as she changed, claiming that nothing would happen in the two minutes it would take for her to put on something other than her pajamas.

She changed into a light blue turtleneck sweater and a pair of jeans, paired with black boots (they were the quickest to slip on since she only needed to zip them up). She grabbed her coat and wordlessly followed Kunikida to his car.

Atsushi and Kyoka soon arrived. They stayed with Junichiro as they dealt with the teens and the police. It was a mess at the no-longer-safe house. It was better that (Y/n) left to be with Dazai rather than stay and watch everything else fall apart.

Throughout the entire drive to the hospital, (Y/n) stared out the window. She could hear Kunikida speaking, she just couldn't listen. Her mind ran through the fight that just occurred, playing everything in reverse. She thought about her interaction with Ryuji.

Was this a sign that she just couldn't protect her loved ones anymore? Maybe it was time to finally quit the Agency and follow a less chaotic lifestyle.

(Y/n) pressed her forehead against Dazai's knuckles, her hand caressing his now-chilly skin as she slept

(Y/n) pressed her forehead against Dazai's knuckles, her hand caressing his now-chilly skin as she slept. Hours passed since he was admitted. The sun had risen long ago and it was now late afternoon. A shiver went through her body, forcing her to wake up as the cold room began to get to her.

Just as she woke up, she felt something somewhat heavy be draped over her shoulders. She looked up to watch as Kunikida took a step back. She grabbed the edge of her coat, which he apparently placed on her, and tucked her arms into the sleeves.

"Thanks," she mumbled, rubbing her arms before returning to holding Dazai's hand.

"You're welcome." Kunikida looked around for a moment, eventually taking the seat next to her. "What have the doctors told you about his condition so far?"

"He's currently in a coma. While they're able to wake him, his body would shut down the second he regained consciousness through medication," she answered, her voice cracking slightly as she finished the statement. She stopped, taking a slow breath before she continued, "They're running tox screens now to find out what those teens Aimi sent injected into him. They said his best bet is to wake up on his own as that would be a good sign that the toxins have run their course through him."