chapter twenty-seven.

(Y/n)'s eyes snapped open. She blinked a couple times, bright lights blinding her briefly. They shined differently though, not as if a raging fire was approaching her – ready to strike her down at any given moment.

She tried to sit up, her entire body aching with various injuries covering every exposed portion of her skin. Hands grasped against her shoulders, gently laying her back down. She let out a shallow breath, struggling to take in the clean air she so desperately needed.

"You're awake," a familiar, relieved voice stated.

(Y/n) quickly realized she was lying against a lap, slowly looking up for her eyes to meet Dazai's. She let out a small breath of relief – she wasn't hallucinating. He really came to save her.

"I sure hope I am," she hoarsely responded. Despite her obvious rescue, she could still see worry painted over Dazai's expression.

She looked around the area, realizing that she was also in the back of a car. She looked up front, meeting Kunikida's eyes in the mirror. She couldn't believe he was there too. She was sure that he'd end up in a ditch somewhere after Dazai learned about his confession to her.

There was a piece of her that was more than relieved to see him. At least they were alive and with her now.

"Where are we going?" she asked, looking around a bit more.

"We're taking you to the hospital," Kunikida responded sternly.

"What?!" (Y/n) tried to sit up, only for Dazai to try and hold her down.

"You need to keep still, (Y/n)," Dazai stated, trying to forcefully keep her down without injuring her any further. "We don't know the extent of the damage Aimi caused." He leaned forward, nearly whispering in her ear, "I can't bear the thought of losing you to anything else ever again."

(Y/n) felt a shiver up her spine. She didn't realize just how much she missed his voice. How his lips were so close to her. The feeling of his skin. She snapped back to the situation, beginning to protest, "I get that, but—"

"There's no 'buts'," Kunikida said, cutting her off abruptly. "We're taking you to the hospital now."

"But Zack and Aimi are so close! Besides," she turned around to face Dazai, who finally let her go, "I know how Zack is somehow back."

It didn't take much convincing for Dazai and Kunikida to believe (Y/n)'s story

It didn't take much convincing for Dazai and Kunikida to believe (Y/n)'s story. It wasn't totally out of the ordinary for someone to awaken a special ability under deep stress and/or trauma.

It was just unfortunate that it had to be Aimi. That it had to be that kind of special ability.

"So he was the one who beat you?" (Y/n) could hear the venom in Dazai's voice. "I'll kill him again if I have to."

"I don't think you can." She shook her head. "He only appears when she summons him and I have a feeling that he's not tangible all the time."

"Then we need to get out of here as soon as possible." Kunikida pressed further against the gas pedal, the car speeding up even further.