chapter one.

Rain.

Beautiful, gentle, glorious rain.

The gentle pitter patter of its wonderous cool droplets fell all around (Y/n) as she stood in the middle of the field. There was not another soul in sight, but something deep within her knew that she was not alone.

Maybe it was the tingling sensation running up her spine mixed with the chill from the cool drizzle. Either way, she wasn't going to just stand there and do nothing.

She was wearing a simple lavender dress that fell just below her knees. Raindrops slid down her bare shoulders, her hair sticking to the back of her neck. She let out a deep sigh, pulling at the skirt as its soft fabric began to stick to her legs.

(Y/n) began walking around the field, the grass pressing against her bare feet. She never liked the feeling of wet grass sticking to her feet, but that didn't seem to bother her this time. That was definitely a benefit of wandering within a dream.

She trekked up one of the taller hills, pulling the skirt up as she continued upward. The tingling sensation within her spine strengthened, almost turning from pleasure to pain. It became so strong that it nearly caused her to collapse, unsure how to react or how to deal with it.

I can't stop. I don't know why, but I just can't, she thought, pulling herself to her feet as she kneeled against the grassy hill.

She finally reached the top of the hill, the rain coming down harder as it pounded against her skin. At the bottom of the hill was a beautiful tree, its leaves a bright green with various flowers around it.

(Y/n) began running down the hill towards it, feeling as if she were a little kid once again. It was the perfect place to lie down and pretend as if you were a flower princess, wearing a crown of wildflowers and a dress lined with roses as red as rubies.

Just as she was about to reach the bottom of the hill, thunder cracked and lightning struck across the sky. Mere seconds later, not giving her enough time to recover from the first time, lightning struck again – but hit the tree rather than the monstrous clouds above her.

She was flung back towards the hill from the sheer force, slamming against the wet grass and managing to cover herself in mud. She took a few moments to recover, her vision blurred from the mixture of the now-pouring rain and the mud.

In her blurred view, she could see a red hue appear behind the tree as it had been split down the middle. An ominous vibe filled the air, sending chills across her body. Her spine no longer tingled but now stung as if she was being continuously stabbed in the back.

(Y/n) was pinned to the ground with pain. While she was not afraid, she could not will herself to move – not even to wipe the mud off her face.

As the red hue grew closer and closer, the area around her began to grow more silent. In the red was a dark figure: the silhouette of a young man. She knew this man but could not remember how.

He eventually stood in front of her, staring down at her with blazing red eyes. In a swift motion, he reached for her throat.

(Y/n) was met with darkness.