Concrete

Feeling surrounded in heat Derrick groaned, stirring from his sleep. Opening his eyes in the darkness. Recognizing the two very different bodies against him. He let out a heavy sigh preparing himself for the screaming to come in just a short amount of time. Moving Saniyah off his chest he got out of bed. Looking at the time reading 1 AM. Heading in the bathroom to relieve himself he stretched out.

Niyah had been put to bed in her own bed. Her usual bedtime 8 but they started an hour earlier last night to factor in her tantrums. This new night routine was change Niyah was not fucking with. Exiting the bathroom he walked to the bed picking up his child. Feeling herself being lifted Niyah stirred. Normally she would have cuddled up to whoever was holding her but she knew what this meant.

"Nooooooooo." She whined out sleepily, rubbing her eyes.

"Its bedtime baby." He simply stated, her only verbal response from him. He was really giving Melinda's methods a try. She could get Saniyah back in her bed and sleep easier then he could. She told him he talked too much. There was no negotiating her sleep arrangements.

"Daddy No!" She snapped, Melinda peeked an eye open at her child's voice. Already pulling the covers back.

"I got it Mel." Derrick yawned, adjusting a now squirming Saniyah in his hold.

She hummed pulling the covers back over herself. Walking out of the room Niyahs whining intensified. The kicking starting up, one quick and swift pop nipping that in the bud. The tears coming right after. Seldom did he pop her and every time he did she acted like she was dying from betrayal. Going ragdoll on him her little chest heaving as she cried. Picking up her blanket off the floor he placed her into her new bed. A much bigger crib like bed. It was designed as transitional for toddlers. The bars came off when they stopped throwing their bodies around.

"No no no daddy! Daddy no no!"

She wasn't two yet but there was no problem with preparation. The issue was keeping her from climbing the bars to get out. Covering her with the blanket she angrily kicked it off. He ignored the action, pulling the bar back up and clicking it into place. Turning on her rain sounds and ceiling stars. Derrick took a seat in the rocking chair. Leaning back getting comfortable. Letting his eyes close sleep thankfully still with him. Niyah crying keeping him conscious. He could hear her climbing out already. Ignoring it he felt her presence next to him along with her sniffles.

".....daddy.......daddy.....daddy! DADDY!........daddy?" It was hard to ignore his princess.

Especially when the tears came back because of it. Attempting to climb into his lap he finally gave her attention. Not in the way she wanted though. Grabbing her hand he walked her back to her bed. She bounced up and down trying to pull her hand away. Picking her up he placed her right back in bed. This going another two times before she finally stayed put.

Her tears died as her own tiredness came back. At her silence he got up again to check. She wasn't asleep but she was hugging the teddy bear that smelled like him. Picking up the blanket she had angrily tossed out, he dropped it back over her. She looked up at him with no energy to do anything but make grabby hands. He shook his head, her pout coming out. Huffing she rolled on her side hugging her bear tighter. Out like a light 5 minutes later. Only robbed an hour and a half of his sleep tonight, that's better than his normal two. He was getting better at this shit. Mel had Niyah down in 40 minutes.

Heading back to bed he was happy to climb in. A week of this shit was draining when her screams awoke you whether you had discovered her in bed first or not. Waking up at 6 he was happy to discover there was no child in bed. That was a mission accomplished in his book. Laying in bed he waited for Melinda to stir.