You're Making Me High

Unedited

"I appreciate you coming Melinda."

Melinda hummed as she set the fresh rolls on the dinner table. It's not like she truly wanted to be here. She already had to do family dinners on Sunday. No need for a Friday dinner too. Leave it to her sisters to be copycats of the Collins. They were lucky she agreed to once a damn month.

"Mommy!" Saniyah chirped, holding out her hand expectantly. Melinda rolled her eyes handing her a warm roll. Watching her child do a happy dance as she pulled it apart to her liking.

"Derrick and Casey are still out trying to fix the mustang?" June asked, as she entered the room. Setting 2 year old Elijah on his feet. The little one rubbing his eyes waking from a nap.

"Yeah." Brenda answered.

"God, I hope it never gets done. All I've heard for 6 months since he started the dame restoration is mustang mustang mustang! He's been stuck on that engine for a few weeks now. Maybe he'll get bored?"

"Unlikely, Derrick probably already fixed it." Mel spoke, popping June's bubble. Her man had a genius for all things machinery. They were probably already passed the engine and on to something else.

"Never thought I'd say this but fuck Derrick." June pouted, Mel shrugged her shoulders. Using conversation as a way to get out of finishing setting the table.

"Its his thing. You saw the iron man arm. That's just a piece of his brain." Mel bragged, she couldnt help but to. June gave her a face to which she laughed.

"No! MINE!" At Niyah's snap Mel looked at her child. Elijah reaching for her roll with a pout. Niyah scowled shaking her head. Elijah's pout turning to a cry as he turned to his mother.

"Mommy!" He cried, pointing at Niyah.

"Its her's Elijah. Let me get you one." June sighed, Niyah stuck her tongue put as Elijah's looked at her.

"Quit it, be nice." Mel scolded, she couldn't figure out why the two of them bickered so much when they got together.

Niyah wasn't really the interacting type. She didn't like playing with other kids besides Midori. She didn't like meeting any new faces. She didn't like people essentially. There was just something about Elijah. Rarely did they cordially play. It seemed like fighting was how they loved on eachother?

"Let's eat before these two get started." Mel sighed, not in the mood for that loudness. Calling the house to the table, the extended dining table was full in minutes. Unlike the Collins family the kids didn't have a separate table. They didn't have a Dean to worry about so there was no real need.

"So Melinda, tell us about Aspen." Brenda pried, Mel smiled reminiscing on the winter wonderland.

"Beautiful, didn't know we had something like that here." Mel answered, keeping it short and sweet. She knew Brenda was a little salty about not being invited. Any other day she wanted to rub it in but she was already on thin ice with Derrick for her attitude. She didn't need her 10 paddles turning to 35.

"Santa bring you any coal this year?" Brenda poked.

"Ha haha.....good one." Mel spoke, giving a fake dramatic laugh.

"If by coal you mean a baby sure." Mel nonchalantly added, getting a glare from her husband. She would come around eventually......maybe. The table was silent as her words dunk in.

"Mel.....you're pregnant? Again?" June spoke, barley contained emotion thick in her voice.

"Unfortunately." Mel sighed, another beat of pause before the table erupted in dialog surrounding her unborn child. She thought that was touching enough the first time.....this go around it made her roll her eyes.