Late Night Drive

Unedited Af

Trigger Warning ⚠️

June 1993

"You know back when I was a boy. We didn't just have it easy, we had to build what we wanted." Senior voiced, smoking a cigar as he watched the 8 year old boy measure some wood.

"Did you guys have running water?"

"Boy! I'm not that old now!" Senior snapped, feeling offended by such words.

Derrick winced giving him an apologetic look. Wiping the sweat from his forehead he looked out over the field. Greenery growing in abundance as the hot early June sun beamed down on him. He had barely started and he was already tired. Looking over at his grandfather, the man looking rather cozy in his lawn chair. Feet in a bucket of cold water, a battery operated fan and cigar in hand.

"Why am I doing this? Mommy said she'd buy one." Derrick whined, throwing down his maker. Senior pursed his lips as his grandson. If he wanted a down shed out here he was going to build it from the ground up.

"Because everything is better when you do it yourself."

"But why? It's easier to just get one." Derrick huffed.

"So you want someone to do the hard work for you?"

"I mean if they can why not?" Derrick shrugged, Senior shook his head. Derrick was gone learn a valuable lesson today.

"Fine youngin, I'll build it. Move." Senior tossed, getting up from his seat.

"Cool!" Derrick chirped, eager to sit down underneath the shade of the oak tree. Taking his seat Derrick, watched him measure before a thought popped up.

"Hey , how are you going to do it?"

"Like I would build one." Senior simply answered.

"But it's gonna be like how I want right?"

"Like this two story? Nope, old bones. Can't be lifting that shit." Senior tossed, Derrick frowned at that.

"But that's how I want it." Derrick huffed, what did he truly expect the 60 year old to do? Power up after spinach like Popeye?

"But you asked me to do it. You get what I'm showing you son?" Senior asked, getting a heavy sigh from his grandson.

"Yeah....." He got it, but didn't mean he liked what he heard.

"Nothings gone be like how you want if you someone else does it for you. It don't feel the same. It won't be the same. You see all this boy? I built this. And I could do it because of what your great grandfather instilled in me. Who came uprooted from his home in chains and shackles yet he held on to his dignity and his pride. Enough to share with his children the joys and pleasure of doing for yourself. Taught me how to grow my food, so no one could take it from me. How to build my home, so no one held a claim. Taught me that my work was mine alone. You hearing me boy?" Senior pressed