Chapter 2

Picture of Nikola

----------

Nikola's P.O.V

I open my eyes before my alarm goes off, waking a few minutes earlier as usual.

It was a habit I liked, the way my body just knew when to wake itself. I found it interesting.

But I wasn't one to linger, so I get myself out of bed and head straight for my adjoining bathroom to start my day.

Well, I try to, but my particularly needy roommate makes that a difficult task.

Blocking my path with as much of his 16 feet as he could, Knots rares his head up with a hiss.

"Morning," I greet which gets me another hiss, "I'll be back in a few hours."

I knew logically that Knots wasn't physically able of pouting, he was a reticulated python who should've been preparing for a strike, but I knew Knots. He was pouting.

"You can nestle me later," I promise as I use my dark magic to move him so I could get into my bathroom.

I receive a parting hiss that just a small smile from me as I close the door behind me.

I didn't make a habit of letting Knots sleep with me, he was a python after all, but Knots was a strangely affectionate snake who took advantage of any chance he got to wrap himself around me.

But that would just have to wait today, I had about an hour before I planned to arrive at the pack borders and I hated being late, evening if I was setting my own times.

My movements are routine. Everything the exact same as it was every morning, making it quick work to get ready in fifteen minutes without much thought.

At my bedroom door, I let my eyes linger on the calendar hanging there.

Three more days.
Only three more days.

My fingers twitch at my side while my heart picks up speed.
I try to contain myself, but my excitement gets the best of me and fractures. It escapes as a magical surge that makes the foundations of the house complain in creeks and groans as they struggle to keep it standing.

"Nikola!" Ma complains from downstairs.

I quickly pack it back away, the barely contained joy that was making it hard for me to think suddenly.

Only when my magic is settled and I'm sure that I have a handle on myself do I free my calendar's designated sharpie and cross out today's day before leaving.

"If you're testing the stability of this house, I assure you, it's even worse than you think," My Ma says the moment I walk into the kitchen where she was pouring juice for herself.

Standing at the counter with her hair in neat braids adorned by rings, beads and rope, Ma's a picture of all the witch stereotypes which she hates. It was just her hair though, she wore magically infused rings and necklaces, all acting as testaments of the power that laid within her.

Magical power that wraps around me in the only version of a hug my mother liked.

"Morning Ma," I greet as I head over to give her a kiss to her temple that she fights me on. I ignore her and give her three more for spite.

"Morning," she grumbles back as she shoves me away towards Dad who was plating our food from the stove.

I give my Dad a hug, knowing he appreciated more affection than both Ma and I combined.

That was how werewolves were though, they liked the touching and close proximity. Witches, on the other hand, despised it outside of a few special few. As both, it depended entirely on my mood what I wanted.