Chapter 37

Hagen's P.O.V

"Yuh nuh wa fi do dis Hagen," Ruben taunts with a wicked smile. "Yuh wa yuh ankles break?"

"You're scared, and you're showing it, Ruben," I reply while I keep the basketball bouncing beside me. "You're talking too much."

Ruben huffs a laugh that sends a fresh bead of sweat trickling down the side of his face, but his eyes never leave mine, "Mi just warning yuh. Eff yuh try and get past mi, mi guh break yuh ankles."

"Alright," I reply before I faint to my left only to swerve right. With my speed, I get the second I need to rush towards the baseline.

Ruben curses behind me, and I'm laughing just as hard as our spectators slash friends, but I don't let it distract me. There was no point trying to make it to the hoop because Ruben wouldn't let me. So instead, I stop just short of the three-point line, aim and then let the ball fly.

It soars high, heading straight for the hoop and I know it's going to sink in, or it would, if the giant fucker I called a friend knew how to quit.

Ruben's in the air with his arm outstretched and his eyes locked in with venom in them. Somehow, his palm connects and he slams the ball down like he's swatting a fly.

"YEAHH!" He hollers when he lands and stumbles, almost falling flat on his ass, not that he cares. He's too busy grinning at me. "Yuh taught I did done? Nahhh!"

"Of course you reached it. You're built like a fucking coat hanger," I snipe while I pick up the basketball. "Your arms are practically telephone poles. I get better signal just standing next to you!"

"He's violating," Jasper announces with his hands cupped around his mouth.

"Jealousy, jealousy," Max sings from the sidelines.

"It's a fact," I shoot back, being sure to flip Max off for his unnecessary commentary.

"Sound like jealousy tuh mi," Ruben agrees, still grinning like an idiot.

"Whatever. Who's next?" I say, holding the ball up.

Jasper jumps to his feet in a flash and despite how stupid he looks with his favourite set of matching sweatbands on his wrists and head, I know he's the only hope we have at taking down Ruben. I toss him the ball with a look that says, 'use your speed', and he snickers as he runs onto the court.

While the pair start a new game, I grab my water bottle before I drop onto the bench beside Max. I almost empty it before I come up for air and try to catch my breath. It'd been a while since I'd played with the guys, and though I'd started to exercise more, my body was still playing catch up.

That's what happens when one goes on an entirely alcohol-based diet for a month — Zyair snipes because he just has to. Yes, I do! My figure was suffering thanks to you!

Our figure — I correct.

Mine! — Zyair insists — Since only I cared, this is mine!

"You good?" Max asks with a poke at my side. "Ego not too bruised?"

"It'll live," I reply as I lean back onto the bench with a sigh. "But maybe my ribs are a little fucked."

Max snickers a little as we watch ahead. Ruben was dribbling like a pro, but he couldn't manage to get past Jasper with his reaction time. Usually Jaspar and I didn't cheat when we were with our friends, but when it came to basketball, we needed the leg up to be even a little close to Ruben. So it wasn't cheating, it was more like... equity. Yeah.

"It was nice of you to do this," Max says, drawing my gaze to him. "Get us all together I mean. It's been too long."

"Yeah," I agree with a glance down at my bag where my journal was waiting.