Chapter 10

Hagen's P.O.V

Nikola: What about mini golf? How would you feel about that?

Me: I'd feel great about mini golf, but we both know YOU don't want to play mini golf.

Nikola: Miniature sports upset me. I'm sorry.

Me: Lol knew it, and it's fine I suck at it anyway.

Nikola: Perhaps we can watch a movie at the cinema?

Me: Yeah that's fine. But Nikola, are these things you actually want to do or is this really Google speaking?

Silence.
I knew it.

Laughing, I lean back against the kitchen counter, ready to type out a response, but of course, someone drags me back to reality first.

"Hagen!" Jasper bellows impatiently. "Max stole three of your turns, and he'll take another if you keep jacking off in there!"

"Why is your first thought always that someone is jacking off?" I groan while quickly pocketing my phone and grabbing the snacks I had left for in the first place.

"Because I know my species," he replies just as I rush back into Ruben's living room, where I find the guys exactly as I'd left them– Ruben splayed out in his armchair, high as a kite, while watching Max and Jaspar play online in a Halo match.

"Your species?" I question as I toss a bag of Doritos at Ruben.

"Men. We're sick, horny fucks."

"We are," Max agrees as he glances down at the chips I drop in his lap. "I swear if there's cum on these chips—"

"There's no fucking cum, you pervert! I was not jacking off!" I snap as I flop back into my seat. "I just got distracted.

"By that chick you've been talking to twenty-four seven," Jaspar guesses, spurring an array of delighted sounds that make me want to die.

"I haven't been talking to any girl." And that was the truth. Sure– I had been talking to someone and seeing them a lot these last two weeks, but it was not a 'chick'.

"Mad of you to assume it's a girl," Ruben drawls around a mouthful of hot Doritos. "We're in the twenty-first century, man—"

"Oh please! Do not pull that shit in here with me," Jaspar begs, his eyes still glued to the screen as his thumbs move frantically over the joystick. "I'm not a closed-minded idiot, but we all know Hagen's not chasing anything that doesn't have a rack on it."

"I'd have to agree," Max adds from his corner. "If he were, then my gaydar is completely busted, and that is literally impossible."

"Why? Cause you woulda try and fuck he by now?" Ruben asks in a heavy chuckle.

"Oh my God, Ruben– that's so homophobic." Max claims, just like he claimed every other day. "I do not try to fuck every good-looking man I meet just because I'm gay."

"Nah, you're a muddafucking liar. You tried to fuck me for a month when we first met."

"That's different." Max snaps, cheeks heating quickly. "You're insanely hot. My morals were weakened."

That directs the others into a completely new conversation that gives me the chance to sneakily pull out my phone. I keep it plastered against my chest, checking once to make sure they weren't watching before I open up Nik and I's chat.

Nikola: If you're trying to make me cave with your silence, it won't work.

Nikola: ...