Chapter 19

Good luck, and don't forget to comment 😘❤️

-------------

Hagen's P.O.V

Everyone was looking at him. Fucking everyone.

When I first noticed it, I thought I was going crazy. Residual effects of Max's attention on my mate, ya know? But I'd been sure to put as many miles as I could between that fiend and us, and the distance had calmed whatever was going on with me, so it wasn't that.

It wasn't some shit in my head or me being foolishly paranoid. No, it was the fact — and it was a fact — that everyone in this stupid restaurant wouldn't stop staring at my fucking mate.

I glare at them: at the staff who couldn't seem to stop themselves from stealing glances as they passed by, at the girls in the window seats who kept looking back with no discretion, and at the couple beside us that kept sneaking glances at Nikola, who was somehow none the wiser.

I glare at them all! Wanting to put up a sign that said, 'Get a life! Especially you guys that are CLEARLY together! Be happy with the mate you do have!', but I didn't have a pen or paper... and I wasn't crazy. But these sounded like crazy people's thoughts.... Jesus, maybe I was.

"Do you want to leave?"

I jolt a little as I pause my attempt at visually mauling everyone in our vicinity to look at Nikola. He was frowning at me with a confused little dip wrinkling the skin between his brows. He looked concerned, which made sense when my leg was shaking like a jackrabbit's beneath the table.

I stop that immediately and force a smile. "No, this place is great. I'm excited to try the food."

Nikola studies me for a moment longer before he nods stiffly, but I could tell he doesn't believe me. Instead of pressing, he takes a look around, searching for the problem, but his gaze sweeps right over all his onlookers as if they didn't exist. He just– zoops! – passes them right by before he looks at me again with a timid smile.

How did he not notice? How didn't he see it? Fuck, how had I never seen it?! What if this always happened, and I was only just noticing it?

It would make sense, as infuriating as it was to consider. A few weeks ago, Nikola was just Nikola, the hybrid that had tormented me for the majority of my life. But now, he was Nikola, the hybrid who was trying to be better, the almost too-serious guy who was actually kind, funny in his own way, and also... well put together.

Well put together? Well put together?!?! — Zyair exclaims with obvious offence — Do better than that, Hagen! Our mate is our very own Adonis! He's more than just well put together! He's a fucking gift from Goddess herself! He's GORGEOUS!

Usually, Zyair's hysteria was just that, but this time, I couldn't find it in me to deny it. The truth was, objectively or subjectively speaking, Nikola Amorenia was gorgeous.

His skin was golden, like he was always perfectly tanned, even though he barely spent any time in the sun. It made him look like he was constantly glowing. Then there were his long dark brown curls and nose, his thick brows and firm jaw that all made him look like a dream.
Then there were those eyes. Good Goddess, those eyes. Those stormy grey eyes that seemed like they were stripping you open whenever they settled on you. Not to mention his fucking body.

Most wolves had a great frame just from the constant running in our second form, but Nikola's body wasn't like most wolves. It was better. He was muscled like a warrior, with a broad and well-toned back, his chest wide and firm, and his arms were practically guns. Fuck, not to mention his thighs.