Chapter 29

Hagen's POV

"We're leaving at 10, Hagen. Ten. Don't be late." I pause my mocking to check the time on my phone. "It's almost ten, Nikola!"

Nikola doesn't reply. There was no way he was ever going to reply, but he didn't need to. I could feel his panic, like my own, through our bond as he struggled to get ready without exceeding the time he'd set for himself.

Knots hisses at me in a warning that isn't nearly as scary as it would've been a month ago.

"I'll stop," I promise as I plop down onto my couch, resigning myself to wait patiently for the beauty queen. "No need to bite."

Knots hisses again, though this time it somehow sounds... sad? As if the mere suggestion of him ever biting me saddened him. The fact that I thought as much was further proof that I was either warming up to the python or I really needed to go outside.

Truth be told, I was used to spending weeks inside my apartment without ever venturing outside until I had classes, needed to replenish my stocks, or the need to stretch my legs outweighed my desire to take a nap. I had absolutely no problem being a shut-in when the opportunity arose, but that was different when I was shut-in with Nikola.

With the effect just being around him had on me, I was itching to get out of my apartment at this point, and of course, Nikola, being Nikola, had a date lined up just in time for that.

I try not to smile too hard as I stare at the space in front of me, the one Nikola and I had filled just hours ago when we'd shared tasty s'mores and lukewarm cups of hot chocolate. My impromptu date had been a success, a really fucking big one considering it was the first date I'd actually put together for Nikola.

I'd known, or hoped, that he'd like the card, but from the way Nik's eyes had became glossy as they studied it, I'd known he loved it.

Even earlier this morning, when the sun was threatening to rise and we finally decided to get some rest, he'd lingered as he set the card carefully atop his designated nightstand. A smile had cemented itself on his face and in turn, it'd found its way onto mine as I watched him.

I'd never known, let alone imagined, just how happy I could feel from making Nikola happy. But the sensation of being the root of his small smiles was... addictive, like scent marking. I just wanted more.

You know, at first I thought there was a mistake when we were paired — Zyair chimes with annoying chipperness. I mean, you're a slob, you have no sense of fashion, and you failed to see how wonderful our mate was.

But now... — I start for him, intrigued more than anything to see what direction this would take.

But now, I know there was no mistake — Zyair concludes, all but squealing — you want him as desperately as I do. We are meant to be Hagen.

It's sad that this was the confirmation for you, and anyway, I don't believe any wolf could want their mate as desperately as you do, Zyair — I reply with a chuckle — There's a reason I haven't let you take control yet.

Harumph! — Zyair says, because he was way too dramatic to make the sound and just had to say the word itself.

I roll my eyes, but before I can dive down that rabbit hole, my phone chimes in my pocket. I dig it out and smile when I see a missed call from Josey. I didn't know what she was calling me about, but I treasured every chance I got to talk to my sis, even if she was annoying as hell and as stubborn as a one-legged ox.

I unlock my phone with the intention of calling her back right away, but Josey's demon-fast fingers have a set of texts popping up one after the other before I can.