Chapter 5

Nikola's P.O.V

My knuckles wrapping against the door somehow becomes the loudest sound around me.

It's like a bullet in a bustling street, making everything quiet before turmoil begins.

The beating heart on the other side seems to kick over itself before it rushes to pump even faster.

Nerves? It seemed impossible with who waited on the other side, but maybe he felt just as I did, or perhaps he was scared. I couldn't blame him if he were.

Steps come next, ones that have my own heart racing to catch up to the beat of his. My magic teems as well, desperate to reach out and surround Hagen with it forever, but I keep those blinding urges at bay.

I would not be swayed by instincts tonight.

Keeping myself perfectly still, I listen while locks unlatching sound one after the other, until the final one to the doorknob twists free.

Time slows to a torturous snail's pace while I wait.

Open. Open. Open. Please open. Let me see you.

Before I have to make my begging vocal, the door swings open, and that raging muscle in my chest almost explodes.

Vibrant, beautiful brown eyes meet mine, and instantly, I melt inside.

I wasn't going to make it.

Hagen peers up at me with a gaze that sends all my working functions over the edge while I take him in with my parched gaze.

I'd told Hagen to dress nice, and he had, good Goddess he had.

Hagen liked hoodies and sweaters, not button-ups like the one covering his torso. He didn't own nice shoes, but he was wearing a pair now, and he believed a little too much in bed hair for his dark hair to be trimmed at the sides and combed with care as it was.

He looked stunning, for me, for our date. That truth was enough to make my legs weak.

But beyond the new clothes and freshly shaven face was Hagen, my Hagen.
Older, yes, but his purity was still there, devastatingly sweet in appearance, as was his natural glow that tightened its ever-present snare on me.

My perfect Hagen.

"Hi," he breathes out, trying for a smile as his fingers tighten around the door frame.

That slight tug of his lips does things to me.

"Hi," I reply automatically, wanting to do the same, to smile, but it wouldn't be as pleasant as his, so I didn't try.

Hagen's eyes dart to and from mine while he shifts awkwardly in his place as if he wasn't sure what to say next.

"Am I too early?" I glance at my watch with a deep frown.

I should've waited.

"No, no," Hagen rushes to fill in, as his small smile tries to grow a little, "I just don't know how this works. Am I supposed to invite you in or..." he shakes his head before he can finish and takes a step back, "ignore me. Come in."

I waver as I look down at the line between the hallway and Hagen's place.

My first test.

Inside, I could see so much of him, of his new life. I could smell him too. His scent permeated the air there, so much so that it made the edges of my senses blur together.

That would be too much, too quickly.

Clearing my throat, I quickly shake my head and take a step back instead, "That's okay. If you're not ready, I can wait here."