ɪ. soldier

Y/n sat at the table, her feet tucked beneath her and her hands clutching the rim of her skirt.

She sat in silence, her gaze drifting from face to face as she simply analysed her friends. Reading expressions was a sort of hobby of hers, something she did to pass time.

Ayaka and Thoma.. She had known them for so long that it felt unnatural to imagine a reality without them.

Currently the trio were sat at Komore Teahouse, after Ayaka had forced the pair to come to her meeting.

Y/n huffed. Thoma didn't seem anywhere near as bored as she was.

That brought her to the fourth member of their little gathering.

Ah, right. The traveller.

Aether had just agreed to help them fight the Shogunate, and Y/n struggled to understand her friends' thoughts.

She locked eyes with Thoma, on the opposite side of the table.

Did they really believe that one person could change the fate of a nation?

He gave her a slight nod, answering her silent question, and she turned to the girl beside her.

Kamisato Ayaka.

The way her eyes lit up, and the way she spoke..

That was when Y/n realised that her dear friend had found her lost hope, and she silently vowed to do anything in her power to keep it alive.

Even if that hope came in the form of an extremely dauntless outlander.

Suddenly, the door swung open and a man stood before them. He was slightly out of breath, signifying his urgency.

"Pardon my intrusion, Shirasagi Himegimi, but there is something we must discuss. It is a matter of utmost importance, and should be addressed as soon as possible."

The man bowed deeply, awaiting a response. Three concerned pairs of eyes immediately landed on the daughter of the Kamisato Clan, yet she remained composed.

Eventually she nodded, and her current guests rose, exiting the room as an act of respect. To Y/n and Thoma it was simple instinct, a way of acting that had been engraved into their minds by their long-standing friendship.

When they were outside, Thoma put a hand on Aether's shoulder. He spoke excitedly about some new food he wanted to try, and how they should explore the Tenryou Commission's ceremony together while it is being prepared.

Before Y/n could even close the door behind her, the pair were gone, leaving her alone.

She sighed. It was more than likely that this 'meal' Thoma wanted would end up in their next hotpot game.

Deciding to wait for Ayaka, Y/n stayed outside the door. She let her mind wander as she closed her eyes, listening to the soft breeze and the world around her.

Eventually the door swung open, and the man from before swiftly walked past her. She blinked, her eyes following him.

'What a strange guy..'