xʟᴠ. hotpot

The bed was warm beneath Y/n. More luxurious than the one she'd occupied in Tenshukaku for so many nights but less so than Ei's. To her, there was perfection in this mediocrity. There was comfort in her pillows and an overwhelming sense of nostalgia, and after feeling deprived of past experiences for so long, they were delightfully accepted without complaint.

She integrated into her old room- her old lifestyle- as though she had never left. Looking around, her closet was still wide open, the doors almost ripped off their hinges. Her bed, too, had been unmade; the room had remained a timeless window to the past, awaiting the return of a mistress that would not come. In the end, the dust had resigned to its corners in a blanket, reminding her that time was a spell unstoppable; her adventure seemed illusory, but it was real. Just as was the palm-sized box that she clutched as she stared thoughtfully ahead.

Y/n thumbed over its cover, flicking it open and shut. The sound was loud and blunt but calming; she closed her eyes, unsure what to do. Beneath the lid was coiled her purple pendant, an exquisite blend of silver and diamonds. The engraved initial bore memory to the shackles she'd shattered, but still. She couldn't bring herself to pawn it. Her eyes caught the creak of her door, and she watched as the Mini Shogun crept inside before she buried the box into the depths of her closet.

A knock accompanied her conflicted reflection, and Ayaka made a more respectful entrance. She sat directly at Y/n's side, playing lowly with nimble fingers. Naturally, the soldier read her expression, lowering her gaze to her lap when she recognised discomfort. A week had passed since she returned home, yet her family still worried for her as though she were unwell.

"Will you be joining us for hot pot tonight?" She spoke softly, "We've even invited Kazuha."

"Must I? We both know how it'll end; why does Thoma still insist on it? It's awful," Y/n groaned, falling back against her pillows. "I pity poor Kazuha."

"It's tradition," the other girl corrected, smiling gently. Her colourful response had reassured Ayaka, and her hesitance melted away. "He suggests it because he missed you. Or do you want him to bother you with his whining?"

Y/n was mortified. "He wouldn't. Anything but that."

"It's the truth." She shrugged. "You know it as well as I. If I have to participate, then so should you."

"You're unbelievable," Y/n mumbled. Then she sat up. "Fine. I suppose it's been a while."

"Thank you. You've made a little boy smile."

She rolled her eyes, but she smiled, too. Her best friend carefully observed her. "Look, Y/n, if you need some time, I understand. You-"

"I'm fine." The soldier pushed, shaking her head. As she had multiple times this week, she again dismissed her concern and insisted she'd be there soon. When Ayaka was gone, Y/n rose from her bed, eyeing the Mini Shogun whilst she prepared.

A lot had transpired since she'd arrived at the estate. The soldier had been home for only seven days, yet she'd experienced more change in this short time than over the past year. Her friends had pried the truth from her one night; she'd told them of love and loss over a bonfire in the courtyard, and they'd spluttered in shock and hounded her with questions. Gradually, her bond with Kazuha evolved, too. A random encounter had bloomed naturally into a close friendship, and she was surprised by how much she liked him around.

They were like rice and sushi, and because their Y/n had always been a good judge of character, Ayaka and Thoma had been quick to accept her companion. The three of them were already seated when she entered the room, and just as Ayaka had assumed, Thoma acknowledged her with excitement.