xxxɪɪɪ. tranquility

Tranquility.

A state of absolute peace and calmness; free from any and all noise, violence and worry. A word epitomised by the contemporary state of Y/n's mind.

She exhaled. The rolling of gentle waves over white sands was oddly soothing to the ear; salty sea air invaded her mouth and nose. Upon the sand came the soft thud of footsteps, yet this tranquil state remained unbroken.

The person slowly lowered themselves into a seated position. They did not speak, yet their gaze held an unyielding intensity. To Y/n, it was peculiar; despite this fact it was all but unsettling. Rather, this intensity was spurred by emotion. The emotion of love.

Another deep breath. Y/n was enveloped by a welcoming breeze. On the wind was carried a distinct scent: that of sakura and something sweet.

She smiled.

"You know, I can understand your infatuation with the Plane of Euthymia."

The soldier's eyes remained unopen; the other person was startled by her conscious remark. Amused, they released a light 'huff.'

"This atmosphere certainly invokes pleasant memories."

"Mm. The silence is wonderful," she said, then finally opened her eyes.

Y/n had expected one of three sights to materialise before her: the smiling face of her beautiful lover, Narukami Island's golden shores, or perhaps just a bright gleam of sunlight. To her surprise, it was none of these she was met with. Instead, the scene that laid itself out before her eyes was one she had been unable to envision.

Y/n was enveloped by darkness. It was a limitless abyss; no matter in which direction she faced, there was nothing beyond. There was no sky, no ground. It was simply empty.

But from this emptiness echoed the light patter of raindrops. The soldier looked down and saw ripples form around the base of her feet. Somehow, she was standing in water. She looked up again and two figures emerged from the shadows.

A blonde boy, and that girl.

The very girl whose appearance had caused her such angst that day; the girl she had all but forgotten about since. Before her eyes played a scene: a memory. The tape of her past rolled on a backdrop of nothingness.

Her smile faltered. It dropped from her face entirely. Yet the pair before her were undeterred, and the girl with blue-grey eyes unleashed a soft giggle.

"What do you think she's thinking about?"

"Oh? Well knowing Y/n, it's probably something bittersweet. That is, if she's even thinking at all. Hehe, if you ask me, I think she's listening to the sounds of the world again. Isn't that right,-"

"-Y/n?"

Ei's voice pierced her mind like a blade. Y/n felt as if she had just emerged from the depths of the ocean; as if her head had been submerged underwater for the longest time. It was only for a short instant, but the very voice she held so dear sent a sharp twinge of unsettlement down her spine. She had blinked. And she blinked again.

The crashing of waves returned; as did Narukami Island.

The memory had only played out for mere seconds. The blink of an eye, perhaps. Ei's affectionate gaze was trained on her sudden frown in an expression of genuine concern. In response, the soldier quickly shook her head, both to reassure her and to clear that familiar feeling of discomfort. She flashed another smile.

Y/n laced her fingers through those of her lover and used them to pull her further down. She embraced her. Having been offered affection, Ei didn't hesitate to snuggle into Y/n's side. She lay her head atop her chest as they watched the sky together.