xxɪ. deal

Throughout their walk, Y/n had refused to tell Ei where they were headed. Instead, the Archon used this time to examine the soldier.

There was definitely something off about Y/n, yet she couldn't quite tell what. Perhaps it was that new knowing glint in her eye, or the fact that she had yet to speak despite being the one to invite her here.

Ei shrugged it off, trusting the soldier.

But wait, what if she had uncovered something... Something that linked to her memories?

A shiver of fear went down her spine, and for a moment she thought of that night. However, before those thoughts could go any further, Y/n stopped her.

They were stood just outside of Inazuma City.

"Ayame thought that it would be a good idea for us to conceal our identities around here from now on, so she handed me a disguise before I left. Have you got anything of the sort? You know, to not draw unnecessary attention..."

Ei nodded, albeit suspiciously. When the pair were convinced that they couldn't be recognised, they simply strolled into the city.

It was a significant contrast to what had happened before. No one stopped to stare, and a child even pulled on Ei's outfit to ask for a game of tag.

Watching the bewildered Archon chase the little boy around, Y/n couldn't help but smile. Something about the scene was familiar.. homely, even. Perhaps she had once dwelled in this place, when she wasn't being treated as a celebrity.

They continued walking, before stumbling upon an old merchant. His cart had begun to tip over, yet by the time that Ei noticed, Y/n had already reacted to stop his fruit from rolling away.

She simply stood frozen in shock as the soldier called up to the man from her crouched position. "Sir, are you alright?"

"Haha, yes. My sincerest apologies, young lady.. This here back is getting far too stiff to keep working this way...."

Y/n smiled, handing his product back to him. Ei watched their friendly interaction in silence, simply thinking about Y/n's kindness and quick reaction speed.

Truly a woman of the people.

Yet... What had she done, all this time? She was their Archon, and she knew less about them than she realised.

Ei resisted the urge to flinch when she felt a hand on her shoulder, and came back to reality to see Y/n looking at her in concern.

"Ei?" The name rolled off her tongue in a soft whisper, in case anyone overheard. However, something about the way it was spoken and the tender gaze directed at her stirred an unfamiliar sensation within Ei.

"This gentleman has invited us to have a meal with him in his humble abode. Is that alright?"

She cleared her throat. "Uhm, yes. Sorry."

The old man gave a laugh from behind them, shaking his head towards Y/n. "Please, call me Kiyoshi. It's my pleasure to entertain you both."

When they eventually arrived at Kiyoshi's home, they were greeted by a very concerned woman.

"Dad! Where have you been!? I thought I told you to take it easy!"

"Haha! Relax, Kei. I may be old but my spirit is as youthful as ever!"

Y/n and Ei exchanged a glance, and 'Kei' seemed to notice them for the first time.

"Oh! You didn't tell me that we were expecting guests! Come in, come in! Awh, you two are adorable!"