BONUS: Birthday

KADEN'S POV - CHAPTER 34| Birthday

ALL MY LIFE I've been able to guess, gauge or estimate the right moment. And as I made my way, ignoring this woman in a party full of teenagers telling me I should not get on stage and ruin Amber's party. I knew that this was the moment. 

And fuck me, if I'm hoping I'm wrong. 

But I know, that I'm angry, that I'm confused and most of all. I wish she didn't say yes to that fucking bet. 

She's glaring at me. 

This woman dressed like she should be in an office, a stark contrast to everyone in neon. I shake my head at her and I look at the crowd, some already glancing at me. Then, I find those grey eyes I wish I hated. I've always wished I hated her grey eyes. But I never could. I wanted to. But it's not in me to hate her. 

I smirk, putting aside my anger. It's not hard. It comes with the wind, crashing on sand, but it never crashes the sand with the intent of hurting it. It's playful half the time, but it can be angry. But never, will it hurt the sand. It's a chain, of push and pull, it moves with the wind and as much as it hopes to stop. 

It doesn't. 

I grab one of the microphones, and my heart races wildly. 

"Can I have everyone's attention please?"

I'm loud enough that I could be heard over the music. The lady still glares at me, but she's content to let me do what I want. 

I keep the grin on my face, I see familiar faces in the crowd. Dean, Kia and Zalman are all grinning as they make their way up on my stage. 

I can't hate her, not when she's the reason I applied as their temporary drummer. 

Not when she's the one who comforted me at my father's funeral. 

 "As most of you are well aware of, Lewitt and I have history."

This isn't news to anyone, some snickered, other chuckled but I know they're all dying to hear what I have to say. Why, I'm holding this microphone in front of them. I'd practiced this speech in my head so many times that it's no surprise the words came smoothly out. 

"Among bits of our history, includes our birthday tradition, where we give each other horrible gifts. Gifts, we know, the other wouldn't like. It was obligation on both our parts for the longest time, but I think the time has come now for a change." I pause, looking for her and I meet her gaze. Those beautiful eyes of hers that I want to hate. "Amber Lewitt, this year, I'm going to give you the worst present that would top that list."

I put the microphone back, Dean hops on the stage and I hear the audience rawr as Zal and Kai make their way from the back. They're carrying their own instruments, and their eyes meet mine. 

It's a big favour to ask from them, not just coming to this party but to also play for it. Zalman and Kai begin to play the introduction and like everytime I play, the counting is automatic. 

1, 2, 3, 4. 

And all that anger that I feel, like waves on the ocean floor come hammering out. My heartbeat is out on the world to hear. 

Amber, can you hear it? How loudly you make my heart beat?

Dean's voice comes, a soft angelic voice, a far contrast to the beat of my bleeding heart. 

"Happy Birthday to You,

Happy Birthday to You,

Happy Birthday Dear Amber,