|05| Stakes

Image of what I think Rekha would look like!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"For me, the most interesting people are ones who often work against their best interests. Bad choices. They go in directions where you go, 'No no no nooo!' You push away someone who is trying to love you, you hurt someone who's trying to get your trust, or you love someone you shouldn't."

Paul Haggis

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I COULDN'T SLEEP, worry held me in a vice-like grip as I tossed and turned trying to sleep. Finally I sat up. I knew full well I couldn't sleep. Or at least not when I wasn't sure where or what Allison was doing. I rolled in bed, so that my face was looking up straight towards the ceiling as I debated what I could do.

With Allison, she could hide perfectly and it would be futile to try and find her. This hasn't been the first time Allison's run off though more often, she preferred using the front door. I got out of my bed, making my way without the lights on to where my phone lay charging. My fingers wrapped around the cool metal as I turned on the phone.

I hesitated, opening a message to Allison.

Would she answer?

There wasn't any harm in trying. My fingers typed out the message quickly before clicking the send button. Still holding my phone, I made my way back into the bed. My body brushed against the cool soft covers and I curled into a ball. I glanced at the clock.

02:10

I closed my eyes. She'll be fine. I told myself as I fell asleep.

When I woke up, my phone is still in the palm of my hand. Face still resting on the soft pillow, I unlocked my phone to peer at the message.

I'm fine, sorry for making you worry.

I let out a breath, ignoring the weight in my chest as I moved out of bed. What had I expected? That Allison would tell me where she was or when she'd be coming home? I fixed my bed, scolding myself. It was silly how I expected more from her. After all, what was I besides her silly younger sister?

Part of me, knew I should be grateful because Allison would rarely bother to pick up the phone and let me know if she was fine. She'd often just let it be, and come home whenever she fancied to. It was Allison after all. One thing Allison loved was drama's.

When we were younger, she'd get glued on all kinds of shows on television. I remember watching My Neighbour Totoro with her to Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. As long as it had a certain flair of drama, regardless of the language, Allison would watch it. She'd sit completely emerged in the world of drama, and ignore the lot of us until the movie was over.

It didn't matter whether you watched it or not, Allison had the habit of talking your ear off about the show. It became more subtle as she grew other. When you entered seventh year onwards, there were expectations you had to follow. Allison stopped watching the odd exotic drama shows when she was in year eight. Yet, I'd still catch her at odd hours watching some film or the other secretly. Besides that, She joined cheer leading and watched So You Think You Can Dance with me.

"What are you doing?"

I jumped, startled by the sound, though to be fair, I shouldn't have because I knew she'd be home. "Hey, I'm making something to eat."