|33| Warning

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"By the pricking of my thumbs, 

Something wicked this way comes."  

William Shakespeare, Macbeth.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GOSSIP SWIRLED AROUND about James and I. From speculation to faux lies about drama that spewed. I avoided Grace, leaving James to explain what happened between us or the lack of what happened between us. I knew it would die out if I didn't add fuel to the fire.

So I stayed low. Not snapping back at whoever dared ask, and laughing along at all the right moments. So, the rumour passed like a storm cloud, there and gone without much ado. But that didn't mean it left those that were involved.

Grace was anything but stupid. 

I'd like to think I managed to avoid her. But I knew that Grace had ample chances to approach me from sharing classes together, to knowing where I'd sit during break and of course, where my locker was.

She was probably biding her time. 

She approached me on Thursday morning, two days before my party and on the first day of newly established cheer practice for winter. 

"Hey Amber," She greeted, voice as perky as always with her stupid accent.

I'd grown certain of my place in the school's social ladder. I knew where I stood in school, who liked me and some (who mattered) that didn't. It has led me to a feeling of warm security. Now, with Grace leaning on my neighbours locker, her blonde hair styled as always, clothes decent but alluring. 

I didn't know where I stood.

Years of learning how to fit in, how to maintain your spot on the social ladder told me not to cross Grace. It was the same lesson that made me sit with the twins even if I heartily disliked Tassia. The reason why, I'd had to leave James behind. 

Even before Grace came to the school, Rekha had established her as a threat. 

Threats needed to be controlled.

But Grace was a threat like no other. Without our help, she established herself, fitting herself in so well with the student body. She wore the latest fashions, looked stunning and cast a spell over the boys that even Kaden, the boy who hadn't had a girlfriend thus far, was willing to go into a relationship with her.

And she refused.

Rejection stung and I wouldn't blame a boy to lash out, to call her a tease and we'd stick up for her, but no. It was bound to happen when a girl rejects a guy. It's why girls on top travelled in packs. We needed each other to stay afloat. We needed the back-up when things turned sour and when secrets told in confidence were no longer secrets. Kaden had nothing mean to say (but then again it's Kaden.) She didn't need us. We needed her.

I shouldn't cross her.

"Hey," I beamed at her. Pulling my books to my chest, and turning to give her my undivided attention. I wasn't sure when, but it was becoming obvious that right now, this school had two top girls and only one girl should be at the top.

Grace looked pleasantly surprised, "You look great," She said but didn't elaborate.

"Thanks you too." I needed to take control of the conversation. "Where-"