|10| Drink

Early update ;) I'd really love it if you could comment and vote for this chapter.

Also, for those that have followed me I'm sure you noticed I've published a new story called The Art of Sleeping Together. I'm really excited to write about two characters that have been mentioned prior to this chapter which are Corwin Wilde and Daisy Harrison. You'll see why they've got their own story soon. Till then, please comment your thoughts about this chapter! I'd love to hear what you've got to say.

P.s. Found this glorious comic about all you readers! Thanks to Afire_ for letting me know!

 Found this glorious comic about all you readers! Thanks to Afire_ for letting me know!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world."
Mercedes Lackey

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I WANTED TO go home. James and I had come so close to crossing the bridge of friendship to be something more. I could feel his arms on my waist, breath on my ear as he sung the song. I closed my eyes, near the door to the party where Kaden would be, where the cloak needed to come back on.

I can't like James.

I'd gone on for so long managing just barely to not think of him, to not touch him, to not get too close. I nearly threw it all away. I would do it, not this year but perhaps the next year, when my position at the top of the pyramid was secure.

Now, it flooded me vividly. Memories surging upon the discards I left it. I remembered him, the familiar minty smell of him, the way he always made me laugh. He wasn't a social outcast, far from it, but we roamed two different worlds. If he was captain of the lacrosse team, perhaps it wouldn't be so bad. But as it stood now, he wasn't.

I remembered watching him play on the field, he wasn't a great player but he wasn't horrid either. He looked good running around, smiling that genuine smile as he played in a sport he enjoyed. I take in a deep breath the smell of cigarettes burning and I pushed through the party.

Easily, I moved to the kitchen. No one was mixing the drinks, a game of beer pong was ongoing. I went to help myself. I drank everything I could touch, except beer. I didn't want to think, or feel.

Within minutes, I felt a soft hand on my shoulder, hesitant and familiar. I felt burning desire course through me as I finished a vodka cranberry mix. I turned around to see the familiar oval face concern filling his features.

I'm breathing in heavily, watching him, watch me. We stayed like that for a long time. I was tipsy, not drunk yet but I could lie. I covered the distance between us, feeling my toes curl up in anticipation. I closed my eyes, tilting my face up, kiss me.