two

Wednesday frowned as she and Kate stepped out of the train station and into the main streets of New York City.

People were walking by with bags filled with Christmas gifts for their friends and families. Kids were pointing out Christmas lights as their parents ushered them along the streets to get them out of the cold. Everybody seemed to have that festive cheer, though, and Wednesday couldn't help but want to cry as she grabbed Kate's hand.

"I miss Christmas with my mom," Wednesday said, looking at her best friend.

"I know," Kate said, moving to rest her chin on Wednesday's shoulder. "I miss Christmas with her, too. When do you want to go and see her?" she said.

"Christmas Day?" Wednesday said unsurely.

"Of course," Kate kissed her cheek. "I'm gonna call my mom, tell her we're here," she said.

"Okay," Wednesday said.

Kate moved her hand to intertwine their fingers, leading Wednesday across the zebra crossing while she put her phone to her ear.

"Hey, mom," Kate said. "Yeah, we're in the city. We were gonna stop by our place and then come and see you," Kate said. She looked at Wednesday. "Mom wants us to go there first," she said.

"Sure," Wednesday nodded.

"We'll be there, soon, then," Kate said. She ended the call. "Mom said Jack is there and she wants to talk to us about something," she said.

"Must be important, if she's including me," Wednesday said.

Kate rolled her eyes.

"You know she thinks of you like a daughter, too. I mean, you've been stuck to my side ever since we were five years old. We're bonded, Wes," Kate said.

Wednesday shrugged.

"You sure she wants me there? Talking about something with your mom's boyfriend seems like a family thing and I'm not her family," Wednesday said.

"You're my family," Kate said firmly. "So, you're coming. Unless you don't want to?" she said.

Wednesday sighed and let Kate pull them to a stop.

"It's not that I don't want to be there. It's just..." Wednesday trailed off.

"It's still hard seeing me with my mom," Kate said.

"Yeah. I mean, at least both our dad's are dead so I don't have double the issues," Wednesday muttered.

Kate wrapped Wednesday into a hug and kissed her temple.

"Wes," she whispered.

"I'm fine," Wednesday shook her head.

"Wes," Kate said again. Wednesday looked up at her and Kate's gaze softened when she saw Wednesday was close to tears. "I know this is hard and I know sometimes my mom makes it seem like she's trying to replace April's spot in your life. We'll go and see what she wants and then we'll go back to our apartment, bake brownies and cuddle. Okay?" Kate said.

"Okay," Wednesday nodded. "You promise we'll cuddle as soon as we're done?" Wednesday said.

"Yes, you big baby," Kate laughed, cupping her cheeks.

She brushed her thumbs over Wednesday's cheekbones and smiled softly.

"You know I love you, don't you? And I'm here for you," Kate said.

"I know. I love you, too," Wednesday said, resting her forehead on Kate's shoulder. "But your mom will not be happy if we keep her waiting, so let's go," she said.