six

Wednesday took a sip of her water as she, Kate, Eleanor and Jack ate the dinner Jack had made them.

"Wednesday, Emily called this morning to confirm she, Monday and the boys were coming to the Christmas Eve party," Eleanor said.

"Yeah, we spoke to them last night," Wednesday said.

"I'm excited to see Monday again. It's been way too long," Eleanor said.

"Yeah. Seven years this New Years since he left New York," Wednesday said, pushing her food around her plate.

Kate squeezed her hand under the table before pushing her plate back.

"That was delicious, Jack," she said.

"Thank you. I'm so glad you liked it," Jack smiled. Kate hummed her agreement. "The secret to a good risotto is to agitate it. Just enough. And then it's just down to patience and attention," he said.

"Wow. You cook, you're attentive, you're wealthy. You're almost too good to be true," Kate said. Jack chuckled fondly.

"I assure you, I am not," he said.

"Hmm. So, it seems you're quite the sword aficionado, Jack. Do you fence?" Kate asked.

"I dabble," Jack said.

"Would you say you're more an épée, foil, or sabre man?" Kate asked.

"Oh. You know your stuff, little lady," Jack smiled. Kate scoffed and Wednesday winced. Kate despised being called little.

"I was a two-time state champion. Good with all the outdated weapons. Made me aware of when someone is trying to stab you in the back," Kate snapped.

"Okay, I think you've both proven that you know what swords are. Can we move on now?" Eleanor said.

"Oh, but, dear, I think a common interest is very fertile ground for bonding," Jack said.

"That's exactly what I was thinking. Bonding," Kate smirked at her mother.

Wednesday groaned silently. She never had to deal with stepparents, considering her father had never moved on from her mother before he died. She barely even understood the concept of family anymore, other than the family she had with Kate, so she was not getting involved in this.

"Mm. Let's break out these bad boys," Kate said.

"Please, let's not, okay? We've had enough drama this week," Eleanor said.

"Yeah. You know, perhaps... perhaps your mother is right," Jack said.

"Oh, come on, why not? You've got some spare fencing gear," Kate smirked.

"I'm convinced," Jack shrugged.

"All she said was, why not? That's not a convincing argument. That's not an argument at all," Eleanor said.

"And yet..." Kate shrugged with a smile.

"I'm gonna go get my stuff," Jack beamed.

He hurried upstairs and Kate grinned at Eleanor's exasperated expression.

"What? This'll be fun," she said.

"Wednesday, can you tell Kate not to do this?" Eleanor looked at Wednesday.

"I would prefer to stay out of your family thing, Eleanor. No offence. It's just... It's not my place to stop Jack and Kate bonding," Wednesday said innocently.

"Thank you, Wes!" Kate grinned at her happily. "It'll be fun, mom. Don't sweat it," Kate said, looking back at her mom.

"C'mon. Let's go and clear the foyer," Wednesday said.