eleven

"You wanna tell me what we're doing here?" Kate asked.

Wednesday yawned as she looked at the apartment building they were watching from a rooftop across the way. She could already think of nineteen ways to get across the road and inside without a single scratch, but Clint was taking his time looking through his binoculars.

"Something very important to me is pinging inside that apartment. It was stolen from a black market auction. I need it back. No lights, no movement. This is our chance," Clint said.

"This would have been easier if we were on a higher rooftop," Kate said.

"That's what you think," Clint said.

"Yeah, exactly. That's why I said it," Kate said.

"Kate, you always wanna prioritize a quick exit over a quick entrance so when things go sideways, and they usually do, you have an exit strategy. That's why I chose this spot," Clint said.

Kate quickly ducked away from Clint and Wednesday rolled her eyes. Guess they were going in alone, then.

Wednesday hurried to the side of the rooftop and climbed over the wall, dropping down slowly until she landed in the alleyway. She could see Kate crossing the road and she smirked as she ran across herself.

Kate met a man at the door, while Wednesday crept into the dark alleyway and climbed on top of the dumpster. She turned the comms in her ear on and giggled when she heard Clint ranting about them.

"You two are driving me insane. I'm so done with you both," Clint said.

"Keeping you young. I swear, I saw a few grey hairs the other day," Wednesday said.

"Where the hell even are you, Wednesday? I didn't see you disappear or cross the road," he said.

"Yeah, that was the point. I blend in with my surroundings," she said.

"Can I tell you a secret?" Kate's voice came over comms.

"Please don't do this," Clint said.

"I was talking to an Avenger. He's in my ear," Kate whispered.

Wednesday laughed as she ran at the opposite wall. She jumped off the dumpster and at the wall, pushing off her left foot and grabbing onto the side of the fire escape as she turned in the air. She swung forward so her feet hit the wall and pushed off, using the momentum to plant her feet between the railings and grab hold of the top railing so she was standing up.

She jumped onto the fire escape and started up the steps.

"What do you do with this giant bow problem?" Kate asked.

"I have a collapsible one," Clint said.

"Oh, that makes sense. Okay. I'm at the door," Kate said.

"We're good," Clint hummed. "Wednesday, where are you?" Clint said.

"I'm about twenty seconds away," Wednesday said.

She stopped at the window of the hallway and quickly picked it with her knife, climbing through the small gap and rolling out of the fall. She walked around the corner and saw an apartment door open, the one Kate was inside of.

She stepped into the apartment and waved through the window at Clint.

"I'm here," she whispered.

"You're like a ninja cat," Clint muttered.

"Holy shit," Kate whispered.

She fired two purple goo arrows at each corner of the living room and Wednesday winced as her eyes registered the red strobe light that had spotted them.