Chapter Twenty-Three: Shattered Past

"I was going into shock. The pain wasn't getting any better, and I thought that I would probably black out before I found out how this was going to end.   

-Joe Schreiber-

***

Chapter Twenty-Three: Shattered Past

When the world ceased spinning, Cady managed to prop herself up on her elbows and reach for her beloved Starmanac.

Her fingers flipped through the already worn pages. As she was about to delve into another section, a little rectangular piece of paper fluttered out. It landed on the white sheets, the yellowish texture standing out like a sore thumb.

It was the photo she discovered in the hotel. She had wedged it in the book and somehow forgot about it.

Cady brought the photograph to eye level, scanning the blurred features of the people within. Her heart gave a sad little flutter when she saw Van smiling up at her, not a worry in sight. There was a little toddler next to the young parents, his eyes bright and knowing, staring determinedly into the camera as the photo was shot.

The little toddler reminded her painfully of Josh. She continued staring at the strange group of people. However, she still couldn't comprehend how and why her father was in the photo.

She brushed the little dirt patch imprinted on the photograph, right above the little boy's forearm.

There was a bang and the doors flew open. Cady hurriedly buried the photograph under a stash of candy.

"Look Cady, I brought you everything you asked for."

Bum jogged over, panting as he released an entire stack of books on her already loaded table.

Lydia was next to Bum, her beautiful features marred by her usual scowls. This time, it was from the growing pile of books Cady had around her.

"I still don't get why you need so much books," said Lydia. "Especially this kind of trash."

It took Cady a second to realize that Lydia was waggling an accusing finger at her copy of the Starmanac.

"No it isn't," Cady said. "I find it interesting."

"There, there," Bum butted in before Lydia could argue back. "Let's just spoil our Cady for once since she is sick. How are you feeling?"

"Crappy." Cady massaged her forehead with her knuckles. Even the slightest movement felt like a gong going off in her head.

Lydia plopped down onto a chair and helped herself to one of the chocolate bars. "Well, it's no wonder. You wrecked the entire dorm in your sleep. And you still need to teach me that trick so I can skip classes."

Cady rolled her eyes and Bum laughed.

"What's so funny?" Lydia demanded. "It's a legitimate expression. I hate classes."

"No, it's just the way you said it. You're lucky none of the Mistresses or Masters are around." Bum grinned.

Lydia snorted. As she grabbed another chocolate bar, the photograph came loose and fluttered onto the ground.

"What's that?" Lydia bent down to retrieve the photograph.

"Lydia, don't!" Cady shouted, but fell back into her pillows as pain sliced through her like heated metal.

Lydia's eyes widened.

"Cady," she whispered. "Where did you get this?"

Cady hesitated, furious at herself. She didn't want to reveal too much to Lydia, or Bum, even if they were her only friends in Esvanira.