Chapter Thirty-Four: Zoroth

We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason.

-Author Unknown-

***

Chapter Thirty-Four: Zoroth

Cady stumbled backwards just as the Decanate groaned.

"Great." The Decanate buried his face in his bloodied hands. "Of all people who could pass my cave, some idiotic Starling stumbles upon my private property, decided to eat all my food, messed everything up and now she wants to kill me."

Cady almost dropped the Celestial dagger.

"You talk," Cady said. "You actually just spoke."

The Decanate lifted his head, his mane of dark black hair falling backwards. He stared at Cady.

"Yes, of course I speak. What do you expect I do? Growl?"

"Pretty much, isn't that what Decanates do?"

The Decanate's purple eyes gleamed, as if he was trying to hold back a laugh.

"Isn't that pleasant? Everyone thinks that Decanates are stupid, brainless creatures when there are actually intelligent ones called Higher Decanates. What is in that head of yours, Starling? Didn't your darling Masters and Mistresses teach you anything?"

Cady was silenced. Firaun never mentioned anything regarding intelligent Decanates, let alone sane, talking ones. All her time in Esvanira, she assumed that Decanates were cruel, mindless, killing machines whose violence was historically indiscriminate.

The Decanate attempted to stand again, but another torrent of silver blood cascaded from the gaping wound in his chest.

"Are you okay?" Cady asked, despite her fear. "What happened?"

"Look who's talking," the Decanate said through gritted teeth. "A simple, humble Decanate was hunting for food when unlucky him stumbled upon a group of well-armed Starlets who was most delighted to shred his wings into pieces. It was a miracle for him to even escape alive. Coincidentally, their kind took shelter in his cave. What an unfortunate day indeed for him, don't you think?"

Cady wanted to backlash at the annoying Decanate, but he continued rambling.

"Shouldn't you be in your precious Hall of Games, where mommy Starlet will look after your every need?"

"They left me." Cady exhaled grimly, her irritation at the Decanate vanishing into thin air. "I have no love for the Hall of Games."

The Decanate raised an incredulous eyebrow. "Now, that is unheard of. A young one cast out of their magical walls to the mercy of the harsh Esvanira. Tell me, Starling, what did you do to deserve such a horrendous fate?"

Cady opened her mouth to speak, but then realized she was about to confide in a grumpy Decanate.

"Oh, I forgot, I'm a Decanate. You're not supposed to be talking to me." The Decanate pretended to slap himself hard on the forehead. "Come on now, don't be shy. You have a shiny Celestial dagger over there. Just run it through my heart, nice and clean."

He looked defeated and in immense pain. It would be most merciful to put him out of his suffering.

"Do it." His voice trembled. He looked like he was ready to faint at any second. "Isn't this your so-called responsibility to rid Esvanira of–"

His eyes rolled back in his head and he passed out, his body collapsing into a pile at the mouth of the cave.

Great. Cady thought. Now I am stuck in a cave with a Decanate whose sarcasm is thicker than Josh's skull.