Chapter Fourteen: A New Home

"A confused labyrinth,

of smoky stars

entangles my hopes,

which are nearly faded"   

-Federico García Lorca-

***

Chapter Fourteen: A New Home

"What do you mean there's no Madame Aradia?" Cady's voice rose to a hysterical scream. "I saw her! In the carnival! She even gave me and my brother a tarot reading!"

"Sweetheart." Isadora's tone was soothing. "Maybe you're hallucinating. Havoc Haven is dusted with a large amount of spells to keep magic from the mundane eye. Our motives must never be known to them, after all."

"But it was so real," she whispered, twisting her hands together until they hurt. The figures in the tarot cards rose in her mind, twisting and dancing like flickering flame from afar. Madame Aradia's sinister predictions of her future still haunted her. Was it all a hallucination?

You will be faced with a decision that has two sides that you cannot afford to give up. You will choose between two persons that you love the most. One of them will die.

"Cady?" Isadora said. "Cady!"

She broke out of her reverie to find Isadora staring at her with deep concern.

"Maybe you should get some sleep. A nap is what makes a Starling strong and bright. I'll send someone to escort you to your dorm. Oh, and Cady, it would be an honor for you to join us since you're now in the Hall of Games. I believe that you are a Starling, am I not correct?"

"I—" Cady was at the loss of speech. "Yes. I suppose."

Isadora plopped back into her soft red armchair before rummaging about her drawers. After a brief moment of throwing out papers, she drew out a heavy, leather bound book strapped with a metallic golden ribbon and dropped it on her desk where it landed with a loud 'bang'.

"This." She gestured at the dusty book. "Is the record of the Starlings enrolled into the Hall of Games every year. Sadly our numbers are decreasing due to the profound fondness many Starlets have for private tutors."

Cady could feel Isadora edging the subject of Madame Aradia away. She inhaled and let out her tension in one, slow breath, allowing herself a moment of reprieve. With her anxiety gone, she stared around the room with renewed interest.

Mistress Tucana must love red, Cady thought as she watched her flip fervently through the book. Everything in the room screamed the color red, from the tapestries to the laced curtains hanging heavily over the windows.

Isadora suddenly let loose an excited 'ah-ha!', surprising Cady out of her skin.

"Lydia Stone is missing a dorm mate since the last girl moved out for private tutoring," said Isadora. Her tone changed to disgust and venom almost dripped out of her tongue at the words 'private tutoring'. "I think you'll be the perfect roommate replacement."

Isadora slammed the book shut and slid the ribbon back in place before looking at Cady. "Do you need me to get Bum to show you the way?"

Cady shook her head. That kid needed some rest, especially after being pummeled by the Strauss twins. At the thought of the brothers, her mind veered automatically toward Firaun—his blinding blonde hair and stone-cold eyes. She hurriedly kicked him out of her thoughts, disgusted at herself for even thinking of the High Priest-in-training.