Chapter Thirty-Eight: An Eternal Bond

"Sometimes, reaching out and taking someone's hand is the beginning of a journey."

-Vera Nazarian-

 ***

Chapter Thirty-Eight: An Eternal Bond

Fire. Scalding fire roared everywhere. It consumed Cady, eating her from the inside out. Yet, she felt no pain. Instead, the fire was welcoming, burning away the wounds she had suffered at the hands of the evil High Priestess. Her skin knitted seamlessly together. Energy coursed through her body, filling her soul, lifting her up with her new Consort.

Zoroth was laughing, his beautiful wings spread out in a complete crescent. His left wing was glowing and white frills crept across it, covering all its feathers and turning them into the golden-white wing of an angel. His other wing remained black—a reminder of his Decanate origins. He was now a Consort, his life force connected to his Ascendant. His tattoos were blinding, tendrils of molten obsidian in the full moon.

Both Ascendant and Consort rose into the air.

Cady could hear the shadows cheering, rejoicing at the new bond of Walker and Decanate, a bond last seen fifteen years ago. The shadows rose with her, strengthening under the full moon as they wrapped themselves around the pair.

At last, the wheel comes to a full cycle, where an eternal bond is forged between a Starling and a fallen Star.

The Stars chorused in delight, glad at this union.

The High Priestess was screaming incursions at them, but Cady did not care. They were out of her reach.

Cady threw back her head in rapture as Zoroth melted away, replacing her shadow with his. The dome of light surrounding them shone brighter, coalescing until it collapsed upon itself and exploded.

Standing in the place of the two beings was one true Walker.

Cady only felt a steely calm, smiling as she glanced around her. The shapeless darkness bowed, ready to serve their new mistress. She could feel Zoroth's powers within her as well as his determination, his will and his soul.

They were one.

"You have committed sins that are unforgivable," Cady spoke. Her voice shook the entire cave, sending crystals shuddering and falling from the roofs. It was hers, yet it echoed with Zoroth's and the hiss of the shadows.

Mistress Tucana stumbled backwards, her face stricken with fear. The ritual was almost complete. Cady knew the moment it was done, Josh would be gone.

"You have killed the lives of multiple innocents, framed the good and destroyed countless others."

Cady walked toward the High Priestess who had recovered her wits and was now snickering weakly.

"You can't hurt me, Cadence Gates. You may be a Walker, but none of you can touch me."

True to the High Priestess' words, whatever shadows Cady hurled at Mistress Tucana bounced off her body as if she was wearing an invisible ward.

Zoroth was whispering inside Cady's ear, brushing against her mind.

Cady closed her eyes.

"I may not be able to hurt you, but I can hurt your shadow."

Cady threw out her arms, sending an order to the darkness shrouding her. She reached out deep into the woods, shaking the leaves free from all branches. The leaves fell, as did their shadows.