Chapter Twenty-Seven: A Place in Heaven

"Please don't sing sad songs for me,

Forget your grief and fears,

For I am in a perfect place

Away from pain and tears

It's far away from hunger

And hurt and want and pride,

I have a place in Heaven

With the Master at my side."

-Thomas Bergersen "A Place in Heaven, Illusions"-

***

Chapter Twenty-Seven: A Place in Heaven

Cady's hands were stained red. She pressed them desperately against Bum's chest; as if she could somehow push the blood back in, to staunch the flow—anything to stop the precious fluid from leaking. Bum's glassy eyes stared into hers, all life gone as though sucked away by the Stars themselves.

"Somebody, anybody, help!" Cady heard herself screaming over and over again, even after her throat was scraped raw and the little body removed by Stelliums.

She slumped on a chair, choking back a loud sob. Lydia took a seat beside her and held her in a tight embrace. The other Starlings were ushered back into their dormitories with extra precaution thrown up by the Masters and Mistresses.

The saturnine atmosphere clung around the Hall like a disease that refused to dissipate. Grim-looking Starlets patrolled the grounds. The entire Hall remained under a temporary curfew. All classes were cancelled and the Starlings were required to remain in the dormitory.

Only Cady, Lydia and Felix remained outside the Healer Chambers, awaiting news from the Healers and Stelliums. But, their verdict remained the same: Bum was gone.

Cady cried out loud to the Stars. She was mad at them—and most of all, at herself. She found it hard to believe that sweet little Bum was gone forever. Her heart felt like it was being ripped into a million shreds over and over again. It was exactly how she felt when Van died in her arms.

Her tears poured out in a torrent. She cried for the loss of a young life: a boy who had been her first friend in a foreign territory, a friend who fought for her until his dying breath even if it meant facing a full grown Decanate.

When the crowd of Stelliums had subsided, they slowly made their way toward Bum. Each step felt like lead to Cady, heavy with pain and guilt.

A white sheet was drawn up to Bum's chest, concealing all evidence of an attack. His eyes were closed. His skin was a chalky white, making those iron curls stand out like a sore thumb. He looked so peaceful, so serene, that one could be forgiven for thinking he was only sleeping.

The hot tears in Cady's eyes threatened to spill out. She took a seat beside Bum and held his pudgy hand. It was stone cold.

"Hey, Bum," she managed a hoarse greeting. "I'm so sorry."

Stellium Ythna approached them.

"You have my condolences," she said in her musical voice. "This young Starling has returned to the Celestial Kingdom, where I am certain he is now dancing in the beautiful meadows we have sung so much about."

The Stellium's words only added to her grief. Cady tightened her fingers around Bum's fist.

"If it wasn't for me, he wouldn't have—died," Cady choked.

"Child," the Stellium said. "What is done is done. Grieve, but do not let it control you."

The Stellium gave Lydia and Felix a little nod before vanishing into the darkness.

"The Parting Ceremony will be carried out tonight." Lydia finally broke her silence. "Mistress Tucana expects everyone's presence."

Cady's eyes never left Bum's face.

I will be there. Cady promised. I will be there to say my final farewell.

*****

The night sky was crystal clear, devoid of any clouds that would obscure the thousands of blinking white lights. It seemed to observe the gathering below as well, silent and watchful.

The Hall grounds were full of Starlets and Starlings, as well as the few Stelliums and Detriments. Everyone was silent as they watched the Stelliums busy themselves with the Parting Ceremony.

Cady stood in front of the erected pyre, fighting back tears. An Elder Stellium was present, garbed in a fluid black robe dotted with flecks of silver resembling the night sky above. In his hand, he held an unlit torch.

Mistress Lyra, the head of the Hall choir stood next to the pyre, ready to burst into the beautiful music of the Stars.

"Children of the Stars," the Elder Stellium greeted the entire Hall. "We are gathered here to witness the final journey of a young Starling, he who shall return to the kingdom of Stars. I call upon the Mother Star and all Celestial Spirits. Please guide Bum home."

He nodded at the two Detriments by the side who laid Bum's pale body on the pyre, taking great care not to jerk him.

The torch the Elder Stellium held combusted into bright flames and he tossed it into the middle of the pyre. The dried wood easily caught fire and soon, tongues of brilliant golden flame danced high in the skies.

Mistress Lyra started singing, filling the Hall of Games with her beautiful voice.

"Walk bravely, my fellow child,
The world is not at the last end.
Walk bravely, my fellow child,
Into the arms of your first founders.

The sun, the stars, the moon and the earth,
All shall be your final four.
The tears that we shed for you,
Shall wash where the darkness grow.

All that ends is not all.
Both a beginning and an end.
Walk bravely, my fellow child.
Into the arms of our great Mother Star."

The song brought tears to Cady's eyes. It brought back memories, both sweet and bitter. She lowered her watering eyes to the dazzling pyre. Smoke and ashes rose into the air, floating higher and higher as a gentle breeze blew and whisked them to heaven.

The fire gradually died down and the crowd dissipated in hushed whispers. Cady remained behind, not wanting to leave. Somehow, she could feel Bum's presence in the yard, lingering for a while before vanishing into thin air.

Mistress Tucana approached Cady and gave her a little squeeze on the shoulder.

"I swear that I shall have everything investigated," she whispered. "In the name of the Stars, I vow. The loss of a young life should not be taken lightly, especially under my watch. The person who did this shall pay."

"Who do you think is responsible?" Cady said, her voice getting stronger by every passing moment. Acid juices boiled inside her belly. She wanted to rip the culprit apart, to kill him as he had killed Bum. "Who?"

"I think we both know who," Mistress Tucana said, giving Cady a hug and left.

With Mistress Tucana gone, Cady turned her tear-stained face back to the skies and inhaled deeply.

There was another beautiful star in the sky, burning brighter than the rest.

*****

A/N

Let there be a moment of silence. R.I.P Bum.

Tell me if you cried. *Hands virtual tissue* This chapter was so heartbreaking, seriously. I wrote this entire thing while listening to the soundtrack and it shattered me. ;-;

Bum is gone, but the mystery remains. Who do you think is responsible for this crime? Let me hear from you!

Cheetos,

Stef