Chapter Thirty-One: Framed

"So. Tell me. What do you think? Which is better? To take action and perhaps make a fatal mistake - or to take no action and die slowly anyway?" 

- Ahdaf Soueif "The Map of Love" 

***

Chapter Thirty-One: Framed

Cady burst into the Hall courtyard. The skies were dark, streaked all over with silver stars. It was indeed a mesmerizing sight, but to Cady it seemed as if the Celestial Kingdom was mocking her with their multitudes of eyes.

The patterned arch from before remained the same. The pilasters traversing the yard were as beautiful as ever. The words etched upon the archway glittered: I will see, I will discern, I will act.

It reminded Cady about her failure. Each embossed letter appeared to be laughing at her inability to see Josh's absence in the Hall, or to discern the secrets within the walls of stone and magic. Most importantly, she allowed her inner Walker to take over.

Now, the most dangerous man in the Hall of Games knew her secret.

She scrutinized her shaking hands; hands stained with the blood of her former teacher. All her life, she had never hurt any living creature. But now, she had the blood of a Starlet in her hands.

Every fiber of her being was screaming for Josh. She missed him so much. Part of her wanted to leave the Hall of Games and run far away. But, where to? Esvanira was a stranger to her: a foreign land crawling with blood thirsty Decanates, kept out only by the protective wards of the Celestite towers. She might be a Walker, but she could hardly tap into any of her powers without bringing harm to another.

She released a skyward scream of bitterness and resentment, sending flocks of birds fluttering away.

Where could Josh be?

Cady calculated the possibilities. Josh might be a Walker as well. The stakes were insufferably high.

What if Josh was discovered? What if the Hall of Games killed Josh in silence?

No! Her subconscious mind cried. He can't be dead! He is the only family I have left!

She turned her tear-stained face toward the gigantic structure, home to thousands of Starlets—descendants of the stars.

She didn't belong here. She was a Walker, someone who shouldn't be alive or even exist.

Glancing at the stars, she made up her mind.

She would leave the Hall of Games and seek out her brother at whatever cost.

Cady struggled to her feet. She needed to pack a few essentials and hit the road, maybe even weed out the Celestial blade Lydia had hidden within their dormitory. She was certain that her friend would understand her decision. A Walker didn't belong in the Hall of Games.

Her entire life had been irrevocably changed by her decision to enter Havoc Haven. It seemed ludicrous, really, how something that only existed in movies had leaped out, rendering everything that was once logical into a realm of insanity.

The entire Hall was asleep. She was safe. Although guilt would resurface now and then, she prayed that nobody discovered the mess in Mistress Tucana's office.

Her dorm was silent. Dust had gathered on the desks where Lydia used to splay upon like a monkey, snoring on top of a pile of homework due at dawn. Cady couldn't suppress a small, sad smile. As sinister as the Hall of Games was, she did find some fond memories within.

As Cady threw together a few items of necessity, nostalgia sliced through her. It was exactly how she felt when she fled her home months ago. She ran her fingers across Josh's gray sweater, something she packed before leaving Georgia. Cady slipped into the sweater, the smooth cotton brushing against her skin. Whatever happened, at least she had something of Josh's close to her.

Scanning the room one last time, Cady bit down any second thoughts. She was ready for whatever Esvanira had to throw at her. With a small wave, she bid her one-time home goodbye and headed out of the Hall.

A gentle voice suddenly rang out, startling her."Where are you going?"

"Felix!" Cady hissed at the little silver-headed boy. "What are you doing here? You're supposed to be in bed!"

"Likewise," Felix said. "I went to find you but you weren't in your room. So I figured that you are probably wandering the corridors. Firaun told me you do that a lot when you can't sleep."

Cady felt sick. Firaun, he had been watching me?

"I have something important to tell you Cady." Felix's expression was so serious he resembled his older brother. "Firaun asked me to tell you something before he left for the Chaldean Order."

Firaun isn't with the Chaldean Order. What is going on?

"Walls have ears." Felix cast a look around him. "Come with me. I need to show you something. Firaun told me it has something to do with your brother."

At the mention of her brother's name, her spirits soared high. But, a part of her still doubted Felix and Firaun. If Firaun crossed out Josh's name, why did he send his little brother to seek her out?

"Come," Felix whispered, this time with greater urgency.

Felix led her down the familiar gravel path that bled out toward the dungeons.

Cady's heart almost stopped in its tracks. "Felix, this is not good. We shouldn't be here."

Felix pressed a finger to his lips, his eyes growing wider. "Firaun gave me the keys. He stressed that you must see the object within the Hall museum."

True to his words, Felix pulled out a silver key from his pajamas pocket and slipped it into the thick lock of the dungeon doors. The chains fell apart without a sound to reveal the familiar dim hallway.

He grabbed a Celestite torch by the side which rekindled, casting a flickering light over them. "Come."

The straps of her backpack bit painfully into her shoulders as she moved forward.

Felix led her toward the door hiding the priceless Fair Necklace. Cady could already hear the faint melody trickling from the chamber, sweet and haunting. Seized by a sudden rush of adrenaline, she knew she had to run for fear of the Fair Necklace's betrayal.

She turned to do so, but she barreled straight into a thick wall of muscle.

"Hello, Walker." Riley's smile was sinister. He raised something dark over his head. Before Cady could make out what was happening, a sharp pain exploded over the side of her head.

Feeling faint, she fell to her knees. Her hand came off red where Riley had hit her.

"You!" Cady whispered, struggling to remain conscious. But the pain was overwhelming.

The last thing she saw was two silhouettes towering over her before her world turned black.

*****

A/N

Cliffie! After so many chapters of subtle endings, I thought it would be best to start ending my chapters in cliffies. :p Why did Felix lead her down the dungeons? Did Firaun really ask him to do so? Let me hear from you!

Raisin cookies,

Stef