Chapter Forty-Two: Undying Love

"Morning will come, it has no choice."

-Marty Rubin-

***

Chapter Forty-Two: Undying Love

The Esvanira evening air was cool against Cady's face. She sat on the stone railings of the highest balcony in the Hall of Games, the one overlooking the undulating green crests stretched far over the horizon.

Her brother sat next to her in silence. Zoroth's shadow was thrown across the marble floors, indicating his presence in the serenade.

It had been a week since the Celestial Ceremony. Both knew they only had a few more weeks together before moving on to their respective sister Halls.

Josh was enthusiastic at the approach of the Hall of Warriors, but Cady was petrified. Firaun had broken the news in the morning regarding her placement within the Hall of Spirits.

I had no choice. Firaun had said. If I were to leave you in the Hall of Games, it would rouse the suspicion of many others for breaking the Starlet tradition. It is better for you to enroll into the Hall of Spirits, for the Affinities of Oracles bear a striking resemblance to those of the Walkers. I am certain that you will find a way to control your powers and train your Consort into shaping your real shadow. Till then, stay low, remain silent and no one will expose who you really are.

Her reunion with Josh was short-lived. After so much agony for so long, they were to be separated by different Halls. Fate was brutal, cruel, rejoicing in the tragedy of others. Life was never fair.

"Cady." Josh's deep voice shattered the shell Cady had squished herself in. "Don't worry too much regarding the Hall of Spirits. I think Firaun knows what he is doing, even if he's a terrible prick. He won't send you to your doom."

"I shall destroy all who wish you ill," Zoroth swore, the inhuman timbre of his voice strumming the air. "To that, I vow."

Cady exhaled, blowing her fiery locks from her face.

"Do you think we can go back?" Josh suddenly asked, gazing into the distance with a dreamy look upon his face. "What would dad say? That old man is going to blow up the moment we turn up after being missing for months!"

He swiveled around to observe Cady, who had gone rigid with shock.

"Cady, how did you even get here are the first place? Did dad tell you all about this?"

"Josh." Cady's voice was small. "I have something to tell you. Dad...Van, he is dead."

Her brother's eyes widened, all color draining from his face. His jade eyes drilled deep into Cady's similar ones, filled with disbelief and horror.

"I'm so sorry, Josh." Cady's voice broke. "I—I wanted to tell you sooner, but I couldn't bring myself to say it. After you were captured, we fled to a hotel where the shadow followed us. Dad—he died saving me from one."

Josh only stared at her as she continued.

"He left me a letter, basically explaining about Esvanira, and the Hall of Games. Van—he isn't our father. Someone entrusted us to him during the Great War and he took off running into the New World. He was never our father."

Josh was gripping the railings so hard that Cady was worried that it might shatter.

"Tell me that you're kidding me," Josh pleaded. "Tell me dad is alive, and he is our father. Please."