Chapter Forty-One: The Celestial Ceremony

We are the Children of the Sun 

The love for everyone 

Always on the run 

The fire in our eyes 

The passion never dies 

We're the chosen ones 

The Children of the Sun  

Thomas Bergersen and Merethe Soltvedt," The Children of the Sun"

***

Chapter Forty-One: The Celestial Ceremony

No matter how many times Josh tried to reassure Cady that the Celestial Ceremony would be perfectly safe, she wouldn't buy it. In the modern world, getting a tattoo meant hours of screaming. Receiving her Starlet tattoos wouldn't be any more different than getting tortured.

To top it off, she got up on the wrong side of her bed, right on the day of her sixteenth moon.

She fumed at Josh, for being such a prick at six o'clock in the morning, and at Lydia for smuggling her brother into their dormitory. She had forgotten all about her birthday if not for Josh screaming 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY!' at the top of his voice and lobbing a cake at her sleepy face. The only one who seemed happy about the birthday prank was Zoroth, who materialized out from Cady's feet and started feasting on the remaining cake.

"I swear," Cady half-shrieked at Lydia. "I will personally throw you into the dungeons if you dare pull another prank with my idiotic brother."

Lydia shrugged. "I should've left you to rot in the cell."

Her roommate had suffered days of imprisonment once Mistress Tucana found out about Cady's escape. But Lydia, being the tough nut of the bunch, recovered from the morbid ordeal pretty quickly.

The Strauss brothers were safe as well. Firaun had whisked them away from the Hall of Games the moment the hag's powers expired. As far as Cady could observe, he didn't want his siblings to trifle with matters concerning the Hall.

Her mind zoomed back to the present. Josh stood by her side, bragging about his handsome Starlet tattoos that resembled bold arrows shooting down his spine, something all Warriors shared—a flame on his right forearm—for the millionth time.

Cady wasn't just worried about the Celestial Ceremony. Ever since she returned from the Crystal Cave, she pondered over how to break Van's death to Josh.

"Earth to Cady." Josh's excited voice pierced through the haze surrounding Cady's mind. "Do you hear me?"

"Huh?"

Her brother rolled his eyes in exasperation before wringing an arm around her shoulders. "Don't think too much, sis. It's just a ceremony. And getting your tattoos does not hurt, how many times should I emphasize on that?"

"I am not worried about that," she retorted. "It's—argh—hard to explain. I will find some time to tell you about that later."

Without noticing it, they reached Firaun's chambers. The High Priest was already waiting for her with a smile. Dressed in the dark, regal robes of his position, Firaun emanated a suffused glow of power and authority, like a king on his rightful throne.

"Are you ready, Cadence Gates?" he asked, his cerulean-blue eyes gentle.

Cady nodded and her brother gave her a crushing hug. She felt warm tears brimming, threatening to spill out. It had been ages since she last felt such brotherly love, and having Josh back after so long was both sweet and awkward.