Chapter Twelve: The Hall of Games

"Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe." 

- William Shakespeare , "Romeo and Juliet" 

***

Chapter Twelve: The Hall of Games

Cady tumbled through the cold night air. The billowing wind blocked her screams. She spread out her limbs, desperate to slow down the fall.

Her eyes whipped past the glowing orange lights of the Hall. She saw some people walking across wooden rope bridges before vanishing.

As the ground drew alarmingly closer, she closed her eyes and braced herself for the impact.

It never came.

What greeted her instead was the sensation of falling through jelly. She slammed into the thick gelatinous, invisible gunk and there was a blinding flash of light.

Suddenly, she was lying face-first on the firm, hard ground.

Cady leaped to her feet at once, too startled for words. She cast a fleeting glance at her surroundings, just to make sure she wasn't imagining the lack of impact. She was standing in the middle of what seemed like a deserted amphitheatre.

A large up-side down building dangled from the mountain before her. The heavy brass door seemed to beckon her closer, to walk up the marble steps and enter the inviting warmth. Two pilasters jutted out from the side, dwarfing the frilled windows. Her eyes ran over the metallic words etched across the arch.

I will See. I will Discern. I will Act.

Taking a deep breath, she raised her hand to the knocker and brought it down. A deep chime mourned as solid metal sounded against wood, echoing across the empty grounds.

The door swung open, revealing a man who looked annoyed to be disturbed from whatever he was doing. Striking silver hair and electric blue eyes—Cady could recognize those features anywhere.

"You!"

Cady socked Firaun Strauss full in the face. "That is for my father, and for my brother!"

Unprepared for the assault, Firaun stumbled backwards, his hands flying toward his bleeding nose. "What the heck, woman! Who do you think—"

His words stopped cold when he recognized Cady. "What are you doing here?" he hissed. "You are human. You shouldn't even be able to get here!"

"Well, too bad," Cady thundered. "Apparently your defenses suck and I want my brother back."

Firaun eyed Cady with apprehension. "Your brother is in safe hands. Now, please leave. We do not welcome humans."

"Oh, really?" Cady mocked, not bothering to hide her anger. "What if I tell you that I am not a human?"

Firaun hissed but he said nothing.

"Ha! Gotcha! Now let me in!"

"What is going on?" A new voice appeared behind them.

At the amount of authority ringing from the person, Firaun hastily stood aside and bowed. "Mistress Tucana," he murmured as the person came into sight.

Cady couldn't help but to gasp. The woman's feline green eyes were glowing with wisdom and compassion. Beautiful raven-black hair tumbled down her back in enviable tresses, curling in the gentle wind. Clad in a simple green dress, it complimented her slim and shapely figure.

"Who is this young lady here?" she queried, her voice melodious.

Cady and Firaun both answered at once.