Chapter Twenty-Nine: Faux Faith

"How dreadful...to be caught up in a game and have no idea of the rules."

- Caroline Stevermer -

***

Chapter Twenty-Nine: Faux Faith

Cady hated hospitals. It reeked of chloroform and bleach, and the stench of death lingered. The medical chambers of the Hall of Games were no different, except it lacked the smell of modern detergents. She remembered the day she cogitated outside the emergency theater when Josh was involved in a serious accident. She cried, believing that she had lost him. Then, there was Bum, whose death shook her to her core. Now, it was Lydia.

All her friends were either injured or killed. Her foot tapped impatiently against the cold asphalt floor. It sent echoes down the empty corridor which only she, Thomas and Tristan occupied at present. A storm raged in her mind, like the turbulent clouds outside the Hall of Games, bashing the earth mercilessly with their spears of water.

"I always knew something will happen to Lydia with that thick skull of hers." Tristan attempted to crack Cady up, but her murderous glare made him cower.

"Sorry. I guess I suck at jokes," he apologized and stared dejectedly at his feet.

Cady shook her head. "This is all my fault."

Thomas directed his gaze at Cady. "Cady, I don't think anyone knew the rum was poisoned. Stop blaming yourself."

"If I didn't suggest them to perform the dare, this wouldn't have happened. If I haven't agreed to attend the party, this wouldn't have happened." Cady strained not to let her voice crack.

Thomas' hand was warm against Cady's shoulder. He gave her a reassuring squeeze. "That rum was bound to be consumed at some point. It could've been any of us."

"But, why would anyone want to poison the rum?" Tristan scrunched up his face like a little child deep in thought. "I have to admit, to tamper with such highly esteemed beverages requires immense skills."

At that moment, the massive doors of the medical chambers swung open. Stellium Ythna glided out, her dark, starry skin shimmering like silk.

Cady sprung to her feet.

"How is Lydia? Is she fine? Tell me please!"

The Stellium scanned Cady's panicked expression with her silver eyes.

"Your friend is fine. We managed to remove the poison before it was too late."

The relief was staggering. Cady felt as though a million pounds were lifted off her shoulders.

"Thank God," Cady whispered, clutching her chest. "Thank God she is okay."

"However," the Stellium added darkly. "I am curious how the blood found its way into the rum in the first place. Did the high mistress offer any explanation for this?"

"Decanate blood?" The color drained from Thomas' face. "That's like, one of the most lethal poison known to Starlets!"

"Exactly," Stellium Ythna agreed. "To obtain such poison, the blood must be given willingly by greater Decanate, for the poison will be more effective."

Even Tristan looked shell-shocked.

"But–but–but–how?"

"That is a question we must leave to Mistress Tucana," said Stellium Ythna. "May the Stars bless us upon such dark ages. As if the death of a young Starlet isn't enough, another of our kind is targeted."