Chapter Twenty-Four: Relics of the Past

"I no longer knew what was real and what wasn't. The lines between reality and delusion had become so blurred." 

-A. B. Shepard-  

***

Chapter Twenty-Four: Relics of the Past

"Whatever happens, you must avoid Firaun," Bum said in a low voice. "He's extremely trained in sniffing out Walkers."

He cringed as Lydia rapped him smartly by the side of the head. "Hello? Cady has training sessions with Firaun. Use your brain!"

Bum pouted, but said nothing. Cady gave Bum a reassuring pat on the shoulder, although she was feeling absolutely horrible.

Despite not having one scintilla of evidence proving her of Walker descent, her abilities showed otherwise. She could unearth a vase by pulling out its shadow, destroy multiple objects in her sleep: everything pointed back to the powers of a Walker.

"Cady," Lydia pushed. "Say something. You've been super silent since you left the ward."

"There isn't much to say." Cady bit her lip. "Somehow I have to find a way to avoid Firaun's classes."

"He won't excuse you even if your dog died," Bum muttered under his breath.

"Try breaking a leg?" Lydia suggested. "You will be useless during paring."

"Lydia!" Bum gasped in horror. "That is not a nice thing to suggest!"

"Then, try coming up with a better idea that doesn't involve breaking bones." Lydia shot back. "If Cady winds up dead at Firaun's hands, it'll be entirely your fault."

Cady couldn't stand their bickering anymore. Throwing up her hands, she silenced both of her friends.

"Guys, I understand that you are trying to help me. My next class with him is in three days. Till then, I need to focus on how not to wreck a room in my sleep."

"Good point." Bum looked relieved. "By the way Cady, stop worrying about it. We have Mistress Silver's class in less than–" Bum threw a swift glance at the grandfather clock ticking gloomily in the corner. "–We're late!"

Without even bothering to check for loose items, they grabbed their bags and made a beeline for the Hall Dungeon where Mistress Silver had promised they would have their next lesson.

Mistress Silver wasn't pleased to see them break through the entrance like lunatics.

"Punctuality, Starlings!" Mistress Silver barked. "Have you never heard of punctuality?"

Being too winded up, Cady couldn't even mumble out an apology. A few kids at the back snickered.

Directing them to the back of the class, the wizened Mistress proceeded toward the heavy wrought gates that stood shut against a wide, expanse of tunnels. Sketches of filth were thrown all over its walls, giving it a dreary and foreboding feel.

What Cady thought to be two enormous chunks of ornamental black stones suddenly trembled. Cracks splintered down their surface and a tiny head appeared. Set into the firm lines were two beady and intelligent eyes. A pair of arms, a torso and powerful legs appeared next, revealing two ten-feet-tall stone giants.

A boy whimpered and fell backward as one of the giants rumbled in its deep, sonorous voice.

"Students, meet Castor and Pollux, guardians of the Hall Dungeons," Mistress Silver introduced the set of stone creatures to the class like it was an afternoon tea party.