Chapter 19

Zoe's POV

"Um so Zoe do you want to hear the news we've got for you?" my mum asked again.

"If it's good news, shoot, if it's bad, then don't tell me."

She remained silent.

Oh no.

Idiot. Should've just kept your mouth shut, I scolded myself.

My mum shifted her body in the passenger seat, turning to face me.

She smiled at me.

Huh? What's she smiling at?

"Snowy's having puppies!" She grinned.

Suddenly, relief flooded through me and a smile became plastered to my face.

"Wait. Who's the dad?" I asked.

My mum and dad looked at each other, eyebrows raised.

"Should we tell her now?" my dad asked.

"Tell me what?"

"Okay yes I'll tell her," my mum said.

"Tell me!!"

"Calm your farm Zoe! Okay, well, Snowy went missing for 3 days when you were in the hospital."

"What? When? How? Why didn't you tell me?"

"We didn't want to tell you anything upsetting when you were getting your chemo done. Especially not that Snowy had disappeared."

"Well I'm glad that you're telling me now," I reply.

- 4 hours later -

My phone started ringing, I recognise the ring tone and immediately pick it.

"Hi Ethan," I say.

"Hey Zoe, do you want to come to the park in 10? There will be a few people from school there."

"Who's going?"

"I'm not entirely sure, Ed invited me, but I think Paul, Lara, Ashleigh, Max, Scott and this new girl, I think her name's Grace.

"Claudia?"

"She's not invited but I have to say that there is no guarantee that she definitely won't be there."

"Okay I'll be there."

"Great see you there."

I hang up, walk up the stairs and change into a striped shirt and denim shorts. I walk back down the stairs and start to look for my mum.

"Mum!" I yell.

"Yes!"

"I'm going to the park, some people from school are hanging out there."

"Are you sure you're well enough?"

"Yes, mum."

"Okay then, make sure you bring your phone, though."

"Got it. Thanks, bye."

I hurry out the front door and down the street. It was a nice day - a few white clouds dotting the bright blue sky.

I decide to take it slow, walking at a steady pace. I soon arrive at the entrance of the park and make a bee line toward the playground, where we usually meet.

"Hey Zoe!" a chorus of voices exclaim.

"Hi guys!" I reply.

One by one, they all come up and give me a hug.

"We missed you sooooo much at school," Lara told me.

"I missed you guys too."

"Zoe," a voice sounded behind me, which I immediately recognized - Ethan.

"Hey," I smile and turn around. Behind him, is an unfamiliar face.

"I'd like you to meet Grace. She's new here. Grace this is Zoe." Ethan introduced.

"Hi Grace," I grin.

"Hey Zoe! I've heard so much about you."

"Well then, I'll leave you guys to do some err.. bonding. Bye!" With that, Ethan swiveled around and walked off.

"So, Zoe, I heard that you've just got back from uh.."

"..hospital. I'm fine with it, don't worry." I laugh.

"Okay, well I'm really sorry. I hope you get better."

"Thank you, Grace. Why don't you tell me a bit about yourself?"

"Okay. Well, I've come down here to live with my aunt. I live up in the country, but it was really hard to get to a good school. The nearest school is a 2 hour drive from home and it doesn't even teach you anything. I was homeschooled for 3 years, but now my parents want me to go to a proper school so here I am."

"Wow. What's life like in the countryside?"

"I love it. I live on a ranch, where we keep dozens of horses, cattle and birds."

"That sounds amazing! I hope you do enjoy your time here in Sydney."

"Thanks.."

"Well then. What have we got here?" Oh great. Claudia.

"What do you want Claudia," I say as I turn around to face her.

"Oh, I didn't mean to interrupt anything," she said, faking a hurt expression.

"What do you want?"

"I just wanted to ask you something."

"Then get on with it."

"When's your funeral?"

Oh my gosh. I couldn't believe it. Did Claudia Evans just ask me something as stupid as when I was going to die? I couldn't help myself from bursting out laughing.

"Not anytime soon, but I'll make sure you get an invitation," I smile and walk away.

-

-

-

Author's note:

Hey all :)

Thanks for reading.

-Anna