Chapter 8

Ethan's POV

We stand there until a voice interrupts, "Hello, you must be Ethan, I am Alysha, Zoe's nurse - Zoe requested that I explain her type of cancer to you."

"Really? Thank you so much, Zoe" I say in surprise. She must really trust me. I look at Zoe, who just gives me a slight nod.

"Zoe has Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, also known as CLL, which is a type of blood cancer usually associated with 60 year old men. The thing with CLL is that it develops slowly and only starts to show symptons in the later stages of it."

No that can't be right.

"CLL affects developing B-lymphocytes, which are specialised white blood cells that produce immunoglobulins - antibodies that help protect our bodies against infection and disease.

In people with CLL, their lymphocytes undergo a cancerous change and become leukaemic cells. These cells are unable to function properly.

They live longer than they should and accumulate in the bone marrow, blood stream, lymph glands, spleen, liver and other parts of the body.

Overtime, these cancerous cells interfere with normal blood cell production."

How could the devil do something like this to someone who looks so much like an angel?

"But don't worry, Ethan, for many people, CLL remains stable for many months and years and has little, if any impact on their lifestyle or general health. Around 30% of people diagnosed never require any treatment and can survive many years despite their diagnosis."

-

-

-

Zoe's POV

I know Alysha was leaving out something. What happened to the people who weren't part of the 30%?

After Ethan left the room I asked her, " Alysha, what happens if I'm not part of the 30% that can live normally?"

"You will, don't worry about it, darling." she replied.

"But what if I'm not? What if?"

"You're young, you can fight it."

-

-

-

Author's Note:

BY THE WAY I AM NOT AN EXPERT AT CANCER SO DO NOT HATE IF I GET STUFF MIXED UP AND IF I MAKE ANY SPELLING ERRORS THAN TOO BAD IM HALF ASLEEP

LOVE YOU,

ANNA

XXX